Bulldog hoops: first half review

The Bulldogs finished their non-conference slate the same way they started it – with a loss. After dropping a road game at Western Kentucky, combined with previous losses to Rider and Richmond, message boards blew up with those preaching doom and gloom for the Bulldogs. However, of the three losses, the only one to be even slightly ashamed of is the season-opener against Rider, but even in the days leading up to the Broncs’ upset, Rick Stansbury was telling anyone who would listen Rider was a talented team not to be underestimated.
    Richmond and Western Kentucky have between them wins over Florida, Missouri and Vanderbilt, and Richmond took Wake Forest into overtime, though ultimately lost. The most embarrassing part of the non-conference games is the fact the Bulldogs lost to teams named the Spiders and the Hilltoppers.
    Look between the Richmond and Western Kentucky losses, and the Dawgs reeled off nine straight wins, highlighted by a two-day cross-country trip against big time opponents. Immediately after finishing their finals, the Bulldogs hit Tampa, Fla., for the Big East/SEC Classic where they demolished a historically strong DePaul team 76-45. Just two days later they found themselves in California facing Pac-10 power UCLA. The Dawgs more than met the challenge defeating the Bruins 72-54.
    After downing a more-talented-than-you-think Wright State team, the Bulldogs traveled to Houston to a play a Cougar team with a ton of offensive firepower. MSU won 70-64, holding UH to their lowest point total of the season. Even the New Year’s Eve matchup with the San Diego Toreros was a tougher matchup than most realize.
    If there was any question after the WKU loss, Stansbury and the Dawgs answered it with their comeback win over Mississippi.
    The Bulldogs are not going to win any beauty contests with their brand of basketball, but Stansbury has made a living with stingy defense and good rebounding. Senior Jarvis Varnado is one of the best in the nation in both of those categories, as he leads the NCAA in blocked shots (80) and is ninth in the nation with 10.9 rebounds per game. MSU even leads the SEC in overall defense, allowing opponents just under 60 points per game.
    While the Dawgs depend on Varnado in the paint, Ravern Johnson has been on fire, and he leads the team with 14.6 points per game. State is third in the nation in three-pointers made, and leads the SEC in three-point shooting percentage.
    The sole Achilles heel for these Dawgs has been free throws. In the loss to WKU, MSU left 13 points on the floor as they only made 14 of their 27 free throw attempts. Even against Mississippi a few missed shots from the charity stripe had the Bulldog faithful temporarily expecting a loss.
    Yes, the three losses are disappointing, but there are still plenty of reasons to have faith in Stansbury’s club. They are one of the hottest shooting, blocking and rebounding teams around.