Final Hunger Games installment surprises

After a disappointing second installment, Suzanne Collins’ The Hunger Games trilogy once again found a balance between character development and well-paced action in “Mockingjay,” its final installment.
    The novel begins a month after “Catching Fire,” the previous book, ended. Rebellion has spread across the 13 districts of Panem, a futuristic North America, against the villainous President Snow and the Capitol. The citizens of District 13, once thought to have been exterminated by the wrath of the Capitol, have emerged from hiding now lead the fight against oppression.
    Katniss Everdeen, the heroine of the series, has become a symbol of the rebellion and must struggle to make her own decisions instead of becoming another pawn in another game. As she comes to grips with the war and what she must do, Katniss realizes not everyone she loves will survive – including Peeta and Gale, the two boys attempting to win her heart.
    “Mockingjay” is a surprise altogether. The book unfolds unexpectedly, but never becomes unbelievable or diverts from the world created in the previous installments. The plot is fast-paced but leaves room for the development of both main and minor characters.
    The ever-exciting Katniss, Peeta and Gale love triangle, which has been meticulously drawn out over the past two books, thankfully becomes a subplot, instead of overtaking the novel. The interactions between the characters don’t feel forced, and the few flashbacks that appear enhance the relationships, instead of letting the reader wallow in trite, sentimental sap.
    Katniss manages to be a compelling lead character, even as the horror of the events she has lived through begins to affect her strong will. The journey she began in “The Hunger Games” comes to a circular conclusion in the final chapters of “Mockingjay” in a way that is sure to satisfy those who have followed the series over the years.
    This book’s tone is bleaker than the others, and the reader will feel the toll of war before the end of the novel. For all of the quieter character moments, the novel has as many action-packed scenes and vivid imagery.
    Collins depicts a dystopian society falling apart in a way that keeps the reader glued to the page with a burning desire to discover what is next in store for the protagonists. However, the real purpose of “Mockingjay” isn’t the stylized action sequences or the page-turning plot twists – it’s the themes depicted.
    Since the beginning of the series, preteens and teenagers have been brutalized and caught in political crossfires. This novel, however, expands on the exploration of how the innocent suffer in war and how many die before an agreement can be reached.
    The psychological effects of the civil war and torture inflicted by the Capitol experienced by several of the characters during the conflict and afterward allows the book to radiate realism.
    The final installment makes the series more poignant, intelligent and character driven. It improves on its predecessor and manages to pay homage to the original book without rehashing the same storyline.
    While the plot may not play out like all fans hoped it would, or characters may not receive specific endings hoped for, Collins makes the trilogy a worthwhile read. Despite flaws throughout, The Hunger Games is a smart, explosive series with an ending likely to meet the high expectations of fans just as it creates new ones.