Programs focus on student health

The Department of Health Education and Wellness is offering several programs this school year to help students and staff improve their health.
    The Campus Alcohol and Drug Education (C.A.D.E.) program is available. Through the program, students can receive awareness about MSU’s alcohol policy, State and Federal alcohol regulations, driving under the influence information, and referral services.
    The program also offers an offender’s course for students who have violated an alcohol policy on or off campus. Each course has four or more classes, including an alcohol anonymous meeting, which must be completed with at least an 85 percent final grade.
    “I think the prevention program will help,” Anfernee Bonds, freshman majoring in political science, said. “When some people drink they tend to go crazy and not control themselves.”
    For more information, call 325-2141.
    On Sept. 2 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., the Health Center will host “Start Your Tailgate Early,” an alcohol prevention program, on the Drill Field. Free pizza from Sbarro and Village Pizza will be served at the Health Education and Wellness tent. Students can participate in several games from the TV show “Minute to Win It,” including “Defying Gravity,” “Punch Your Lights Out,” “Stack Attack,” “Stick the Lightning” and “Drunk Goggles.”
    For “Drunk Goggles,” students will learn how their vision becomes impaired when they drink. The winner will receive a $100 Visa gift card.
    The tailgate competition will be held Sept. 4 in the Junction. Participants will need to set up an alcohol free tailgate by 2 p.m. and tie an orange balloon around their tents.
    Students can pick up an orange balloon during the “Start Your Tailgate Early” event, as well as the first floor of the Colvard Student Union and at the health center. Prizes for the event include a $50 Visa gift card, a $50 gift certificate to Harvey’s, a Mississippi State sweatshirt blanket and two movie tickets to Hollywood Premier Cinemas.
    The Health Center is also offering a tobacco cessation program. Potential participants need to speak with a physician before entering.
    “The physician will work with you to find the correct treatment to help you quit smoking,” Joyce Yates, Director of Health Education and Wellness, said.
    Participants have the option of taking medication (Chantix, Zyban, Nicotine Patches/Gum, etc) and joining a six week support group for quitting tobacco.
    The Health Center is also offering a quit-line through the program where students and staff can receive tips and techniques for dealing with tobacco withdrawal, JuLeigh Baker, Health and Wellness Educator for the Health Center, said.
    To participate in the tobacco program, schedule an appointment at 325-7539.
    “I think everyone is so young they think it’s cool to smoke and drink,” Persephone Ashby, a junior majoring in physical education, said. “In 10 or 15 years, it’s going to catch up with them. Why not stop it now before it gets out of control?”
    During the second week of school, graduate assistants from the Health Center, called “digit doctors,” will ride around campus on golf carts asking students about the numbers “0-5-8-10-25.” If students know the significance of the numbers, they will receive a free pair of sunglasses.
    “Make sure you know what the numbers mean, so you can be eligible to win a prize,” Yates said.