Zant named chief financial officer of MSU

Mississippi State University announced Don Zant to be the new vice president for budget and planning Wednesday.
Zant, an MSU veteran of 13 years, will take over his new position Sept. 17, pending approval by the state Board of Trustees, Institutions of Higher Learning.
“Vice president for budget and planning is the chief financial officer for the university,” Zant said. “My job will be to provide financial advice for the president, vice presidents and the university.”
Zant, former director of internal audit since 1997, said the position recently underwent a name change, previously being called vice president for finance and administration.
“The position has gone through a transition. Vice president for finance and administration previously included facilities management, but that has been changed,” he said. “Now, budget and planning is strictly receiving finances, budget information and financial planning for the university.”
Zant will work directly with the President Mark Keenum and closely with Provost Jerry Gilbert and the other vice presidents, he said.
“I am very honored of the overwhelming support I have had so far, ” Zant said. “I love Mississippi State and I want to do whatever I need to for the university.”
 The Division of Budget and Planning administers the university’s payroll, coordinates the purchase of equipment and supplies, leads the sustainability initiative, along with many other things for the university, according to its website.
Zant has a bachelor’s degree in accounting from Lubbock Christian University and served as assistant director of internal audit at Texas Tech University.
Prior to Zant being named vice president, Wayne Bland has been serving as interim vice president for budget and planning while the search committee could find a permanent replacement.