Football entertaining, but not appealing to all

As a student I’d like to think I do well enough – I strive for good grades, I’m involved around campus and I’m well behaved (or at least pretend to be).
    But in one area I disappoint everyone around me: sports knowledge. I’ll fail every Trivial Pursuit question about football and soccer, and until last year, I didn’t understand what March Madness was. I still don’t, but now know it’s associated with basketball. Apparently, it’s wrong to know more about the fictional sport of Quidditch than football.
    It’s not like I don’t have team spirit. I’m really happy when Mississippi State makes a winning touchdown or scores a basket. I was torn up when we lost the LSU game last year, even if I didn’t understand what went wrong – and, honestly, I don’t care to know.
    While some people may want to learn about football, I don’t. The only reason I ever ask anyone to clarify what’s happening on the field is because I’m either bored or there’s an awkward silence between the people I’m sitting with at the game. Actually, football is a great icebreaker because plenty of people are more than willing to explain the game, and being genuinely clueless helps the flow of conversation.
    Most of the time, I don’t want to attend games. It’s not because of my lack of knowledge. Anyone can get excited with a crowd and ring a cowbell until it breaks, even someone who isn’t as excited by what’s going on as everyone else. Even though football may not be my cup of tea, I still enjoy spending time with my friends, tailgating and cheering when we manage to pull-off a great play (according to the people around me, I wouldn’t know).
    However, the idea of spending hours in a stadium dodging flying liquid and choking on cigarette smoke is not what I would call a great time. The clanging of cowbells as they hit the stands are the worst part of the student section – the sound grates against my ears and makes the whole bleacher move. Of course, none of this will ever change and for the next few years, I’ll simply have to deal with it.
    Crowds are scary enough as it is, but when they grow ugly over a bad call, it’s quite frightening. Though I guess I can see the angry fan’s point – I may have irrationally screamed at the television when the Outstanding Drama Emmy went to “Mad Men” instead of “Lost” this year. In the grand scheme of things, it isn’t important but being gypped still hurts.
    I understand the passion many people have for football, and while I can enjoy certain aspects of it, I just can’t get behind it like everyone else.
    The SEC has many great athletes and their love of the game brings excitement to the field during the great games of football season.
    But it just doesn’t hold my attention all the time like everyone else, and I wish my friends would respect that instead of accusing me of being “anti-school spirit” or “anti-social.”
    Just for the record, I’m proud of all of our school’s accomplishments whether they be in the arts, academics or athletics.
    I hope to support many different events in all areas of our school in my time here and gain something new by attending them.
    I’m not against learning about football, I just don’t think I’m going to learn anything about sports without flashcards and that’s not happening.
    Hannah Rogers is the assistant news editor for The Reflector. She can be contacted at [email protected].