Colt Ford set to get greasy at Rick’s Wednesday night

After finishing up the “Rowdy Friends Tour” on Saturday with Jamey Johnson and Hank Williams Jr., Colt Ford will be returning to Starkville to take the stage at Rick’s Caféon Wednesday. One might be fooled by Ford since he has been on tour with Hank Jr. and sports a cowboy hat. However, he is a fan of music in a wide variety of genres. For anyone who loves country and rap, Colt Ford has mastered the perfect blend of both genres.
“If you were to ask me who my favorite artist was growing up, I would not give justice to that question,” Ford said. It was admitted by Ford that growing up in Athens, Ga., was a great experience, since so many different bands have come out of Athens.
“I lived to listen to a lot of music. I have respect for R.E.M., since I listen to them occasionally,” Ford said. “One can learn from listening to a large variety of music.”  Colt Ford admits he was not about selling out but feeling good about the music he creates. If you put artists of different genres, who are real and create something they believe in, then they will have a great song.”
 In the past, Ford has collaborated with artists such as Darryl Worley and DMC.
“Working with many talented artists has helped me out on a professional level. Also, it is just fun to hang out with artists who are not afraid to be real. Many are surprised to learn that DMC listens to country and likes Harley-Davidson motorcycles,” Ford said.
Ford stated he was willingly open to work with anyone, who regardless of what genre, is respectful of something he believes in and has a cool, genuine attitude. A quality Ford is noted for is his elaborate storytelling, which mirrors past country artists like Johnny Cash and Hank Williams.
“It was a major compliment that Hank Williams Jr. told me that I picked up where he left off and I just added my own twist,” he said.
In the past few years, Ford has been know for his singles “Ride Through the Country,” “Cricket On A Line,” and “Chicken and Biscuits.” “Cricket On A Line” which is Ford’s personal favorite song on the album, has an interesting story. It began while Rhett Atkins and Ford were working on the album.  Atkins just said, “I got a cricket on a line.” In reply, Ford just yelled, “Hey, we want some country.” Within 20 minutes later, they completed the song. “We were just fooling around after being in the studio for so long; we did not think it would go on the album,” he said.
Before Ford received his record deal in 2008, he obtained a career as a golfer.
At the age of 11, he would try to write songs mainly using rhymes. Country to Ford is an interesting category of music.
The former PGA golfer said, “Golfing has helped me become a natural performer. After being on several golf tours, it has been easier to manage a crowd.”
“It seems as though every city — whether it is in North Dakota or Alabama — it seems as though there is someone who loves country and hunting,” he said.
Every once and while, Ford will try to golf while he’s out on tour. While he’s out on tour, Ford misses his family.
“I cannot explain how I miss my daughter and son.” His daughter is 15 and holds an interest in dance, where his son contributes to the family affair by writing songs like his father did at his age.
Rick’s Cafe owner Rick Welch said he is looking foward to Ford’s  performance.
“It’s an honor to have Colt Ford come back to Starkville. I am proud to have him come and put on a high energy performance,” Welch said.
Before Ford takes the stage, Tyler Farr and Sunny Ledfurd will be warming up for Ford. Farr, a Garden City, Mo. native, has had his songs played on the GAC network show, “It’s a Huntin’ Thang.” Ledfurd is known for such songs as “Pontoon Boat” and “Nickel Size Hail.”
Rick’s Cafe is located at 319B Highway 182 East. Tickets can be purchased online or at Rick’s Cafe for $12. If the concert is not sold out, tickets will be sold at the door for $15. The doors will open at 8 p.m.