Former Dean of Students, friends keep in shape with running group

At 6:30 every Saturday morning, whether it be rain or shine, a small fraction of the town of Starkville is up participating in the Boardtown Road Runners.
The Boardtown Road Runners came into effect in the late ’80s when Mississippi State’s own Dean of Students Emeritus and Director of Honor Code Mike White and several friends decided to run together every Saturday morning after meeting up at his residence. In 1992, they decided to pen the name the Boardtown Road Runners after Starkville’s former name. Since then, it has not only become a gathering place for friends, but a family affair for White. His wife, Marcie, his son, Micah, and daughter-in-law, Kelly, are members as well. 
According to Micah White, membership is open to all interested in fitness.
“The Boardtown Road Runners is an excellent group for anyone who wants to live a healthy lifestyle and get in shape. I have learned that although several members are from different nationalities, I have discovered we all share a common interest,” Micah White said.
The activities begin by meeting up at the residence of Mike and Marcie White at 618 Colony Road at the end of South Montgomery. They usually run several trails that are around 10-20 miles. Water and Gatorade stops are set up about every 3-4 miles. However, one can run how long they desire and they will return back to the White’s house.
Many members use the Boardtown Road Runners as a training session for marathons.  “It is such a convenience that there is someone who is always training for a marathon. With someone by your side, it is easier to train with a group of people,” said Mike.
Micah and Mike, like many of the other members of the Boardtown Road Runners, have participated in marathons such as Huntsville, Alabama’s Rocket City Marathon, Pensacola Marathon and the Memphis St. Jude Marathon.  People from ages 14 to 80 make up the group of 46 people. Several members are track and cross country members for Starkville High School and Starkville Academy.
After the run, everyone will gather at the White’s house for a potluck meal. In the summertime, the grill will be out while everyone is hanging out around the patio and pool. However, although many people have moved away from Starkville, they often still keep in contact with the Whites.
“I have gotten several emails every week from past members who have declared that they miss every Saturday running around the isolated woods of Starkville. Out of my my years I have never seen a contentious argument. We have had a few people from the Columbus Air Force base to help with training. They also declared that there is nothing like this where ever they have moved to,” Mike White said.
Since they felt like family, Mike decided that every year, on the Saturday of Super Bulldog Weekend, a reunion would be held for all of the members to get together.
The Boardtown Road Runners group is a very close-knit community that will greet anyone in with excellent hospitality. On the website, boardtownrunners.org, the route of the week may  be found, as well as dates of future marathons and sources from members as to where the best places are to get tennis shoes for a great price. There is also a nutrition column to encourage those to maintain a healthy lifestyle outside of the Boardtown Road Runners, written by members Kelly White and Mandy Conrad.