Suspects charged with series of car burglaries

The Mississippi State University Police Department made two arrests Wednesday in connection to the auto burglaries on campus, Detective Steve Westbrook said.
Douglas Erwin and Devon Riley, both 17, are being charged with auto burglary as adults, Detective Brad Massey, lead investigator of the case, said.
Westbrook said they have not been indicted yet but will be taken to the grand jury.
He also said physical evidence at the scene and information given to the police from members of the community were the main factors that led to the arrests.
Massey said two juveniles have been arrested in relation to the auto burglary cases as well. The two juvenile cases will be handled in youth court.
Westbrook said Erwin and Riley were not connected with the earlier arrests for auto burglary.
Even though there have been four arrests, Westbrook said the police department is still looking into other persons of interest.
“As long as there are auto burglaries on campus, [the police] will be investigating,” he said.
He also said several of the perpetrators are loosely associated.
“Several people involved with separate auto burglaries know each other and are connected to some extent,” he said.
Massey said the incidents have been going on all fall semester but picked up after the Alcorn State game at the beginning of October.
“Most of the incidents have occurred during football games in locations all over campus,” he said.
Westbrook said students should lock their vehicles and put valuable items out of sight. He said the police department recommends locking all valuables in the trunk.
“[Car burglars] will typically walk around the parking lot and pull on doors under the cover of night,” he said. “There have been cases where valuable items have induced them to break vehicle windows.”
Massey said the majority of the incidents occurred with unlocked vehicles.
Westbrook said people should not believe all of the burglars have been caught.
“If you leave yourself in a vulnerable position, someone will take advantage of you,” he said. 
Massey said he encourages everyone to report any suspicious persons in campus parking lots.
The police department can be contacted at 325-2121.