Valentine’s Day dates require appropriate wardrobe planning

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and you’ve got a date planned with that special someone. Wondering what you’ll wear? I’ve got you covered.
    I’ve conveniently segmented my advice into three categories based on common Valentine’s Day dates. Enjoy.
    Date #1: Dinner at a casual upscale restaurant and the movie “Valentine’s Day.”
    Dinner and a movie is perhaps the most common date of all time. This particular date is especially fun on Valentine’s Day because the movie “Valentine’s Day” the movie makes its debut this weekend.
    Since this is such a common date, you may already have a go-to outfit for the occasion. However, I am of the opinion that Valentine’s Day calls for an extra special outfit that is a little dressier than normal.
    Ladies, you’re going to want to wear a warm outfit to combat the cold temperatures that have overtaken Mississippi so far this winter. I recommend a dress that you can wear with tights and boots.
    Outfits similar to these will help you stay warm and fashionable. They are dressy enough for a Valentine’s Day date, yet casual enough to fit in at the restaurant and the movies.
    Guys, wear khakis with a button down or sweater. Any colors you should be looking for? You could go cliché and wear red, but my preference would be navy.
    It’s a versatile color, transcending seasons and always looks trendy.
    I would definitely avoid bright spring colors. It’s still a little early for that. My general rule of thumb is to break out the spring colors when it starts getting a little warmer outside – so end of February/early March.
    Date #2: Dinner and a chick flick at home.
    I’m a sucker for a guy who can cook. (Seriously, what’s more romantic than that?) Though this date is extremely romantic, it’s slightly more casual than the dinner and a movie date.
    I will say that my previous tips still apply for this date, but you can go a little more casual, too, if you’d like.
    Ladies, go with dark jeans, a cute top and black pumps. Pairing wedges with that outfit makes it just dressy enough for this date.
    Guys, I would wear nice jeans and a button down or collared shirt.
    I feel the need to explain what I mean by “nice jeans.” If they have holes, they are not considered “nice jeans.” I cannot stress that enough! I know holey jeans were popular way back when we were in junior high and high school, but we are too old for that now.
    If you aren’t sure if your jeans are appropriate, just stick with khakis to be safe.
    Date #3: Candlelight dinner at an upscale, dressy restaurant.
    Candlelight dinners are always popular around Valentine’s Day because they are naturally romantic. Since these dates are much more formal, the attire is different from the previous two.
    Ladies, wear a little black dress, pumps and pearls. You don’t get the opportunity to break out your little black dress often, so you should make the most of it!
    This dressy ensemble is fun to wear and totally appropriate for the romantic atmosphere of a candlelight dinner.
    Guys, wear a suit. Depending on the dressiness of the date, you can choose to omit the tie, but if your date is wearing a little black dress, you should be sporting a suit.
    You’ve heard me harp on this before, but make sure that you are wearing dress socks! White socks do not go with suits or dress shoes. If you commit this fashion sin, trust me, she will notice.
    So there you have it, you are equipped with the fashion know how to make your Valentine’s Day memorable. Go out and have fun!