Moon Taxi returns to Starkville with new lights, set list

Nashville-based Moon Taxi will return to Starkville on Thursday ready to dazzle audiences with its rock/jam music. The show is at State Theatre on Thursday at 8 p.m.
    Moon Taxi is no stranger to the Starkville venue, said Trevor Terndrup, lead vocalist and guitar player. He said they have played in Starkville several times and their last show was a big hit.
    “It was insane,” Terndrup said. “There were, like 700 people in the State Theatre.”
    Even if you saw the show last time, there are still plenty of reasons to come out Thursday, Terndrup said.
    “We strive to vary our set every night,” Terndrup said. “We have enough material that if you saw five shows in a row, you wouldn’t see the same show twice.”
    He said each Moon Taxi show is unique, from their songs to their light show, which is always new and different, thanks to Moon Taxi’s “lighting mastermind” Joey Troup.
    “Every show is different in what you are going to experience visually,” Terndrup said.
    Every show brings a different set, different segues and different light shows, he said.
    In addition to constantly changing sets, Moon Taxi has a lot of new material and a couple of surprises in store, Terndrup said. Moon Taxi has been working on new material for an upcoming album, he said.
    In addition to the new songs, the band has another new addition to their shows – light suits. The glow in the dark LED suits were debuted in Nashville while Moon Taxi was touring with Matisyahu, an American Hasidic Jewish reggae musician.
    “We turn the lights out and go out and play,” Terndrup said.
    Moon Taxi tries to keep shows different to keep fans happy, said Jordan Usner, former Moon Taxi public relations intern.
    “They’re definitely mindful of new and repeat fans,” Usner said. “They definitely play a different set list every show. The songs are always evolving, as well.”
    “Moon Taxi is a never fail to impress kind of band,” Terndrup said. “It’s something that you just need to see to experience. You need to hear us live.”
    The show will be well worth attending, Usner said.
    “It will definitely be a jam-packed night full of good times and music,” Usner said.
    Terndrup described Moon Taxi as a “rock fusion band.”
    Their music has both jazz and reggae influences with an electronic dimension, Usner said. He said because of their diverse sound, anyone can appreciate their music.
    “They appeal to all sorts of people because they’re not pin holed in one specific genre,” Usner said.
    Terndrup said their original compositions are inspired by a wide range of influences, from progressive rock to hip-hop. He described the their music as blurring the lines between jam and rock.
    “We didn’t set up to sound like anybody,” Terndrup said. “When we started out playing, we realized that we were really doing something different.”
    Moon Taxi hopes their music serves as an escape for audiences, Terndrup said.
    “We think of music as a vehicle to take you away from the every day,” he said. “That’s what we feel our music does – transports you to a happier place.”
    MSU students are already anticipating the concert, said Mallory Bricka, senior educational psychology major. She said she enjoys Moon Taxi shows, and other students will too.
    “I love to have a good time, so I’m looking forward going out and listening to the band,” Bricka said.
    Trevor Terndrup on vocals and guitar, Spencer Thomson on guitar, Tommy Putnam on the bass, Wes Bailey on the keyboard and Tyler Ritter on the drums make up the five-piece band.
    Moon Taxi has opened for such big names as Matisyahu, Umphrey’s McGee, Gov’t Mule, the New Mastersounds and DJ Logic.