ROTC relocates to YMCA building

Mississippi State University’s Army and Air Force ROTC programs have relocated to the old YMCA, located behind the university post office, while renovations are under way at Middleton Hall.
    Vice President for Student Affairs Bill Kibler said the move is temporary, while the interior of Middleton Hall undergoes renovations. Kibler explained due the age and condition of the building, it was badly in need of a complete renovation because of issues like water damage.
    “The renovation has been done in two phases: exterior and interior,” Kibler said. “The exterior renovation was completed a couple of years ago and that included a new roof, waterproofing and a complete restoration of the exterior walls and windows.”
    Kibler said the interior renovations will also be extensive and probably take about a year.
    “The interior renovations will include new mechanical systems like heating and air conditioning, updating the electrical as well as refurbishing walls, floors and ceilings,” Kibler said.
    He said the building has a long history on the MSU campus. The building originally housed the State Chemical Lab, which is now located in the Hand Chemical Building. Middleton Hall has served many other purposes in the past.
    “The ROTC program has been located there for many years now,” Kibler said. “Many years ago, ROTC was in Montgomery Hall.”
    Kibler said he is excited about the construction’s completion.
    “Middleton Hall is a beautiful, old building with a long and proud tradition at MSU,” he said. “Upon completion, it will be like a brand new building, while maintaining its historical features.”
    Kibler said any relocation is inconvenient, but it will be worth it.
    “The ROTC program will benefit from being able to have a virtually brand new space,” he said.
    Tim Muzzi, university architect and associated director of planning, design and construction, said the university is getting ready to advertise Middleton Hall for renovations.
    “We will take bids the beginning or middle of April so we could possibly start construction the beginning or middle of May,” Muzzi said. “They [the ROTC] should be in that building the fall semester of 2011.”
    Muzzi said the project has been in the process for about five years and the total budget is around $1.9 million.
    “It will be a total interior renovation including electrical, mechanical, plumbing and a sprinkler system,” he said. “There will also be an addition to the north and south sides of the building for restroom facilities and office space.”
    Cadet Battalion Commander and economics major Brian Sells said the ROTC moved to the YMCA building in December. He said there are pros and cons to the recent move.
    “It is nice that the cadets have their own offices and the YMCA building is a great location,” Sells said. “However, we do not have classrooms in the YMCA building, so we are scattered across different buildings on campus.”
    Sells said the MSU ROTC used the Middleton Hall facility for an array of different needs.
    “We use Middleton Hall for our military science classes, recruiting, cadre offices and this is a place where all planning is conducted for training by both cadets [students training to be officers] and cadre [ROTC instructors],” Sells said. “All personnel paperwork and pay along with all gear that is issued was done at Middleton Hall as well.”
    Sells said it is exciting to know future classes will benefit from a renovated building.
    “Unfortunately I will not be here by the time the construction ends, but Middleton has a rich history at the university for the ROTC units here, so it is exciting that cadets will move back to a new renovated building,” he said.