CYCLING SAFETY

The Starkville Board of Aldermen discussed a proposed safety helmet ordinance Tuesday which will require helmets to be worn while riding a bicycle or using skates, skateboards, motorcycles or ATVs while on a public road.
    Ronald Cossman, co-chair of Starkville’s Healthiest Hometown Competition Committee, said the safety helmet ordinance, which was up for a vote on Tuesday night, was not voted upon.
    “Between the first and second public hearing, the ordinance was substantially modified so that it now covers all ages in the city, not just under age 16,” he said. “Because this was viewed as a substantial change, a third public hearing will be held next Tuesday, April 20, beginning at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall.”
    Ben Carver, Ward 1 Alderman and Government Training Specialist with the MSU extension office, said the helmet ordinance was proposed by Ward 7 Alderman Henry Vaughn. “It came about by the Healthy Hometown Committee,” Carver said. “There is a subcommittee, and they believe that this ordinance would increase Starkville’s chance at winning the recognition of the Healthiest Hometown in the State of Mississippi.”
    Carver said the ordinance may have been voted upon as soon as Tuesday.
    “However, since the first public hearing, the ordinance has been drastically changed,” he said. “I believe that we need another public hearing to inform all constituents of the ramifications of this ordinance, should it go into effect.”
    Carver said if passed, the helmet ordinance would go into effect 30 days after passage by the Board of Aldermen.
    Starkville Transportation Committee chairman Jim Gafford said his group is an advisory body chartered by the Board of Aldermen to study and promote all modes of transportation for the city, including biking. Gafford said although the helmet ordinance will go into affect 30 days after passage, there will be a grace period.
    “I believe there is a six month grace period before enforcement of the ordinance takes effect after it is passed, assuming it is passed,” he said. “However, the community should view this measure as being official 30 days after passage.”
    Student Association President Thomas Sellers, who attended the Board of Aldermen meeting Tuesday evening, said the helmet ordinance was the first topic on the agenda.
    “I heard citizens who spoke for it, and I heard citizens who spoke against it,” he said. “I would say it was close to even or even a little more on the ‘for’ side.”
    Gafford is a supporter of the helmet ordinance because he said he believes this measure sends a positive message to Starkville regarding the changing culture of cycling in the community.
    “Head injuries are a serious issue and the lead cause of death for cyclists,” Gafford said. “While injuries can and do occur on quiet neighborhood streets, this ordinance reflects the increased use of cycling, and other forms of travel that use our roadways, as a major mode of transportation.”
    Gafford said he realizes there will be some opposed to the helmet ordinance.
    “The strongest argument I have heard against the helmet ordinance is that it is limiting personal freedoms,” he said. “However, the more appropriate view is that this ordinance encourages and requires personal responsibility, which is consistent with many laws geared to public health and safety.”
    Carver said he is against the ordinance because he believes it is an unenforceable ordinance.
    “The ramifications are unessential for the safety of citizens,” he said. “There are too many issues at stake.”
    Carver said the way the ordinance is written would require individuals to wear helmets within the city limits of Starkville, but not on Mississippi State University’s campus.
    “But if you ride a bicycle to or from class, you would have to wear put a helmet on once you got off of campus,” he said. “I also do not believe that we have the right to make students and any adult wear a helmet.”
    Sellers said he thinks the helmet ordinance would be a concern for students because students would receive a ticket for riding a bike without a helmet.
    “They said $25,” he said. “That was the number that was floating around, but I don’t know if that was debatable or changeable.”
    Carver said he also believes a law enforcement officer has better things to do with his or her time while on duty.
    “If an individual chooses to wear a helmet, that is there personal opinion, and they should be allowed to do,” he said. “Vice versa, if an individual wishes not to wear a helmet, they should be able to retain that right,” said Carver
    “Most definitely now that it applies to all individuals,” he said. “My constituents have voiced their opinions to me, and the overwhelming majority of people in Ward 1 are not in favor of this ordinance.”
    Carver said he was slightly leaning toward the first draft of the ordinance, which was specifically for children under 16.
    “But now it is too broad of an ordinance,” he said. “It would affect all ages.”
    Sellers said his fear is the campus does not know that this is being considered by the city.
    “I want to make sure students know about it so students can, if they have a concern or are in support of it, they can voice that to their respective Alderman or Alderwoman,” Sellers said.
    Sellers said he thinks the ordinance has a good purpose, but it also has some negative factors.
    “I think that I would lean more on the side of 16 and younger to make it a necessity for those children who do not know better. where as most college students are very aware when they get on a bike if they want to wear a helmet or not,” he said. “So I think it has some good aspects, but I also think it has some aspects that might want to me considered a little more heavily.”
    “If an individual chooses not to wear a helmet, they should retain that right.”
    Thomas Sellers, SA President