New major trains for economics, ecology

Students interested in finding economically-sustainable solutions to environmental and natural resource challenges will now be able to major in environmental economics and management in the Department of Agriculture and Economics.
    Barry J. Barnett, professor in the Department of Agriculture and Economics, said the major became available for students this current spring semester.
    “The major offers students a unique opportunity to receive training in economics, public policy, ecology and natural resource management,” Barnett said. “Graduates are prepared to work for the rapidly-increasing number of businesses, government agencies and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) that are striving to address critical environmental and natural resource issues.”
    Barnett said the major should also be of interest to pre-law students, especially those considering careers related to environmental law.
    The major officially began this semester with five students enrolled and expects an additional five for the upcoming year.
    Assistant professor Matthew Interis said if economics in general is about how firms, people and governments make decisions, the Environmental Economics and Management major trains students how to make decisions regarding the environment.
    He said students would be taught to take a look at both sides of a problem when analyzing situations.
    “Environmental economists use economic thinking and modeling to try and answer questions,” Interis said.
    Other questions environmental economists might consider include: should individuals or firms be given incentives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, for example via a higher tax on gasoline, or a carbon credit system? Should a certain plot of public land be made into a wildlife refuge, turned into a public park or sold to a private buyer? Should a local community provide a publicly-funded recycling service?
    Interis said environmental economists use information from other sciences such as ecology, environmental science and climatology to try and make decisions about the environment that are best for society.
    “I’d recommend that anyone who is interested in these types of decisions or in environmental policy strongly consider the environmental economics and management major,” he said.
    In a poor economy with an unsteady job market, those graduating with one of MSU’s new degrees would have plenty of options, Interis said.
    “Environmental economists work in many different career areas, including private businesses, government, academia and non-profit organizations,” he said. “Environmental issues are of growing concern for governments, businesses and private individuals, so people who are trained in economics and can guide and inform policy and debate on environmental issues are in high demand.”