Starkville Road Improvements Continues

Local roadway improvement projects, funded by the federal stimulus, will continue into the summer.
    Starkville City Engineer Edward Kemp said the paving operations started last Thursday.
    “The milling operations commenced last week and essentially that process involves removing the top layer of asphalt prior to repaving,” he said.
    Kemp said hopefully the paving operations will be completed this week.
    “The stripping and cleanup operations should be completed in the next week or two,” Kemp said. “There are, however, other roadway improvement projects that we will be working on throughout the summer.”
    Kemp said roadway improvements are always a good thing.
    “Not only is it nice to drive your vehicle on new streets, roadway overlays are a necessary part of maintaining an adequate and cost-effective roadway system,” he said.
    Student Association Executive Assistant Willie Brewster said he definitely thinks the road improvements needed to be done.
    “It’s unfortunate, but I feel that there are a lot of roads throughout Starkville, especially the particular ones they intend to fix, that need much improvement,” Brewster said.
    Junior biological science major Ron Potts said he thinks it is good to use the funds from the federal stimulus to pave and reconstruct roads as long as the roads actually need improvement.
    “Not Highway 12, but the others need some work,” Potts said. “Like 182 and University Drive.”
    Potts said the only downside to using the federal funds for the road improvements are they could be used for more important things, and the construction may potentially put further strains on the local economy.
    “The downside is that our economy is very fragile, and we don’t have the funds to be doing anything at all without it putting strains on the taxes,” Potts said. “It could also be used for more educational or beneficial things such as poverty and more programs to teach underprivileged children.”
    Alderman Sandra Sistrunk, said she is not positive that the stimulus program created jobs with these road improvement programs, but she expects it slowed or even prevented the loss of jobs.
    “Outside funding for these projects has allowed us to do more paving and resurfacing than our city budget would have allowed,” Sistrunk said. “The projects have also provided work for various contractors at a time when there seemed to be less other public or private work.”
    Sistrunk said there are other major and long-term issues surrounding the stimulus bill, but she feels the roadwork has been beneficial to Starkville’s economy.
    “On the question of whether there was an immediate, direct benefit to Starkville and the local workforce, I think the answer is yes,” she said.
    Kemp said the roads being repaved were chosen because they are the roads most heavily used.
    “Since the funds for this project are federal dollars, only specific roadways are eligible for repaving,” Kemp said. “These roadways are identified on the federal roadway classification map and are generally some of the primary thoroughfares.”
    Kemp said he asked for added patience during this Starkville improvement process.
    “Anytime there is a lot of construction-related improvements occurring around town, maintenance of traffic is always something that requires attention,” he said. “In order to ensure a safe environment for construction workers and the traveling public, detours and traffic delays are often necessary.”
    Brewster said he thinks the road construction will prevent a strain on students’ cars.
    “I feel that short term the road construction is causing traffic problems, but versus the wear and tear the roads cause on cars, it will have good long term affects,” he said.
    Potts said luckily he has not run into any construction yet, even though he lives off campus.
    “Right now it might be hurting but after roads are fixed, students won’t be hurt from potholes,” Potts said. “I know I just had new tires put on my SUV and as a college student, that hurt my pocket.”