Stansbury penalized for comments

Just three days after Mississippi State University basketball coach Rick Stansbury turned down a significant pay raise to go to Clemson, he was hit with the heaviest fine in Southeastern Conference basketball history.
    Stansbury was fined $30,000 on Thursday as punishment for his remarks about officiating in MSU’s loss to Kentucky in the SEC Tournament final.
    The SEC made efforts last year to come down harder on criticism of officials, and commissioner Mike Slive said the league office was in agreement that Stansbury’s comments violated the policy.
    “Coach Stansbury has violated the Southeastern Conference Code of Ethics,” Slive said. “SEC Bylaw 10.5.4 clearly states that the coaches, players and support personnel shall refrain from public criticism of officials. The league’s athletics directors and presidents and chancellors have made it clear that negative public comments on officiating are not acceptable.”
    Stansbury questioned a play at the end of regulation in which he said he believed UK committed a lane violation which could have changed the outcome of the game if called.
    “It’s a very obvious lane violation,” Stansbury said. “Both guys in that lane line up outside the three-point line. If it’s the right call, you make the call.”
    Stansbury said it was not only the wrong call, but it was a clear violation of the rules.
    “I’m just amazed in that situation, that situation, game on the line, you know he’s going to miss the free throw, two officials watching it,” he said. “We’re not talking about a foot. We’re talking about eight feet.”
    He went on to tell the Lexington Herald-Leader he should have expected it.
    “I’ve been at this a long time, and one thing I’ve learned: At Mississippi State, you’re supposed to take it and be quiet,” Stansbury said. “I had a hard time swallowing this pill because so much was at stake, and my players were affected. When does the truth matter?”
    When discussing the play with media at The Hump, Stansbury went out of his way multiple times to say he was not criticizing the officials.
    “I’m not talking about officiating,” he said. “I’m talking about the play. Y’all can write that up and chop it up any way you want to chop it up, and you can put my name behind it.”
    Unfortunately for Stansbury, the SEC did not buy it.
    After speaking his mind fully in March, Stansbury said he has nothing left to say.
    “It’s very obvious I’ve said enough already. So, it is what it is.”