Holloway mother to speak at Hump

It’s been five years since an Alabama mother last laid eyes on her daughter. – five years since she got to hug her, see her smile and hear her laugh.
    In 2005, on a high school graduation trip to Aruba, Natalee Holloway was seen for the last time leaving the Aruban bar Carlos’n’Charlie’s with Dutch student Joran Van der Sloot.
    Exactly how Natalee disappeared remains a mystery. Her mother, Beth Holloway, immediately flew to Aruba to search for her daughter. She has never given up the hope of finding Natalee and now she is on a crusade to help prevent similar, dangerous situations from happening.
    Sponsored by the Mississippi State University Police Department and MSU’s Health Education and Wellness Center, Holloway will speak in a free presentation Tuesday at 8 p.m. in the Humphrey Coliseum.
    MSU Health and Wellness educator Juleigh Baker said Holloway’s message will contain safety tips for traveling with in the states and abroad.
    “[She will discuss] how various things that people do can put them at higher risk of being victims of crimes and what they can do to prevent this from happening to them or a friend,” she said. “She will also briefly touch on some of the events that happened in Aruba.”
    Baker said Holloway was chosen to speak at MSU during a time when students are preparing for Spring Break trips and area high school students are starting to plan senior trips.
    “Her message is important to anyone that travels, if they are a student or not,” she said. “She helps you see that anyone can be a victim of crime and what we should all be looking out for and doing to prevent it.
    Detective Don Bartlett of the MSU Police Department said students are often targets for criminal activity for a variety of reasons.
    “Students are often preoccupied with having fun and do not adequately observe their surroundings for potentially harmful activities or persons,” he said. “Additionally, students frequently consume alcoholic beverages in excess, which contributes to poor judgment and taking unnecessary risks.”
    Bartlett said he hopes Holloway’s message will help students realize how vulnerable they can be when traveling as Spring Break draws near.
    “We strongly believe Beth Holloway’s story of her daughter’s dreadful disappearance will have a profound impact on the target audience of students and parents who are considering traveling during Spring Break or during summer months,” he said. “We believe people should be aware of the inherent dangers of traveling in hopes they can employ certain precautions to ensure they remain safe.”
    Senior communication major Chris Harding said Holloway’s message is definitely one that needs to be heard.
    “I think her message is important for any students – high school or college – Natalee’s story is a reminder of how important it is to stay together on vacation and be responsible,” he said. “A fun vacation can be ruined fast if you’re not careful.”
    Holloway will also hold a signing for her new book, “Loving Natalee: A Mother’s Testament of Hope and Faith” in the Barnes & Noble from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. “Loving Natalee” is her account of her Clinton-born daughter’s 2005 disappearance.
    In correlation with Holloway’s message, a Health and Wellness Spring Break Fair will be held March 9 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Colvard Student Union where there will be prizes, games and free giveaways.