Students urged to be safe over spring break

With spring break approaching, Mississippi State University officials share tips to assist students in making next week’s spring break safe.
    Georgia Lindley, Chief of Police at Mississippi State, said the biggest safety tip she can recommend is to stay together and to take care of each other.
    “Do not go places, even in groups, with people you do not know,” Lindley said. “Research the location you are headed to.”
    Joyce Yates, Director of Health Education and Wellness with University Health Services, said it is important for students to take their own safety seriously because many avoidable accidents occur during spring break.
    “Students tend to think that problems won’t occur for them, only the other person or other student,” Yates said. “It all has to do with understanding and preparation.”
    She said students should be defensive about their safety, just like “defensive driving.”
    “Look around and make sure you are with safe people in safe places,” Yates said. “Don’t compromise your situation for a little bit of fun … snap decisions may lead to lifetime consequences.”
    She said students should always be alert to all that may happen.
    “Have a great time, but enjoy that time with trusted friends,” Yates said. “Everyone wants to meet new people and enjoy spring break . just be prepared by knowing the situations, and how you will react before they occur.”
    Director of Student Counseling Services Beatrice Tatem said the most important safety tip is students should be mindful of their surroundings and who they are interacting with.
    “It is always important for students to be serious about safety,” she said. “It is particularly important to take safety seriously during this time because many [students] are away and are not as familiar with the resources that are available, should safety become an issue.”
    Tatem said often students take trips without knowing all of the details and driving while tired.
    “When traveling, avoid traveling alone and be sure to plan out the details of the trip,” she said. “Plan to travel with those you know well and those who share your values when it comes safety.”
    Tatem said students should have safety plans in place, such as having your car serviced before your trip and preparing plans should an accident occur.
    Thad Edwards, crime prevention coordinator with the MSU Police Department, said a big tip for students is to never travel alone or go off by themselves.
    “On the chance you do have to deviate from your group or from your friends, stay in constant contact with the people in your group through phone calls and text messaging,” he said.
    Lindley said students should be responsible about their alcohol use. She said most of the problems the police department hears about are alcohol-related issues like arrests, tickets and regretted sex.
    “Students need to be serious about their safety, not only at spring break, but at all times,” she said. “But at spring break, in particular, people are in unfamiliar surroundings and focusing on having fun, which may make them put their guard down.”
    Yates said students should also be prepared for more sun exposure, as well as reckless nutrition.
    “Take sunscreen, and think about what you eat,” she said.
    Yates said students should take responsibility for one’s actions.
    “All students need to enjoy spring break and have fun,” Yates said. “Plan ahead and make wise choices.”
    Edwards said students should also be cautious while staying in hotel rooms.
    “Do not leave your belongings unsecured for any amount of time,” he said. “Do not prop your hotel room door opened, do not leave anything valuable lying around, do not leave your hotel room door unlocked and don’t leave credit cards laying around in your hotel room.”
    Edwards suggested not carrying around large sums of money.
    “If somebody sees money, they are more likely to steal the money and possibly assault you just to get the money,” he said.
    Edwards said students should plan ahead if they will be staying on campus or leaving their car on campus during spring break.
    “If they [students] are going to leave their vehicles on campus, don’t leave your valuables in the car,” he said. “Take everything out of your car and put it in your dorm room.”