Three movies and TV shows you should watch on Netflix this summer

Netflix
Jennifer McFadden | Graphics Editor
Netflix

If you’re anything like me, you’re ready for summer in order to catch up on all those Netflix shows and movies you missed out on during the school year. 

The problem with Netflix,  though, is there is so much content on the platform it is overwhelming.  I  will  sometimes   spend  an hour just scrolling through Netflix before I will  decide  what  to  watch. 

Fear not! I’m here to give you three TV shows and three films I think you should watch this summer, complete with IMDB summaries. I’m going to try my best to give you a wide range of content to enjoy. 

Let’s kick it off with my top three TV shows:

1. “The OA.” 

“Having gone missing for seven years, the previously blind Prairie returns home, now in her 20s with her sight restored.”—IMDB

I watched this show over winter break and finished all 10 episodes in two days. 

The acting is superb and the show has a great way of keeping you hooked on its mystery. It has a “Lost” type feel to it, and if you can get through the 1st episode, you’ll be hooked. Trust me.  

2. “Stranger Things.” 

“When a young boy disappears, his mother, a police chief, and his friends must confront terrifying forces in order to get him back.”—IMDB

If you haven’t seen this show, A. Where have you been? B. Fix that, immediately. If you have seen “Stranger Things,” I’d recommend watching it again. With season two premiering on Halloween this year, it’ll be a great refresher before bunkering down and bingeing season two with your friends.

3. “Mystery Science Theater 3000.” 

“Set in the future, a space scientist who works for Gizmonic is lured to the dark side of the moon. He is sat in front of cheesy movies with his robot buddies and forced to torturously watch bad movies.”—IMDB

Before you write this one off, I’d strongly encourage you to give it a try. It’s weird and quirky and most importantly, really funny. It’s a great show to have on in the background, or to get a group of friends together and laugh, as Jonah Ray and his robot friends riff on some incredibly bad movies. 

Now, for the movies:

1. “The Prestige.” 

“Two state magicians engage in competitive one-upsmanship in an attempt to create the ultimate stage illusion.”—IDMB

With a star-studded cast including Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, and Scarlett Johansson, this is one of Christopher Nolan’s best films. 

If Nolan’s name sounds familiar, it’s because he also directed the “Dark Knight” Trilogy. Nominated for two Oscars, “The Prestige” is incredible—one of my favorite movies of all time. 

I don’t want to say too much, but the twist at the end will leave you reeling. 

2. “The Imposter.” 

“A documentary centered on a young man in Spain who claims to a grieving Texas family that he is their 16-year-old son who has been missing for 3 years.”—IDMB

Don’t toss this one to the side just because it’s a documentary. Give “The Imposter” a chance, because it is a wild ride from start to finish. 

It’s one of the best-shot documentary’s I’ve ever watched, and the story is ridiculously insane. The lengths this kid goes to in order to pose as this family’s missing son is crazy, and the fact they take him in without realizing is mind-blowing.  

3. “Nightcrawler.” 

“When Louis Bloom, a driven man desperate for work, muscles into the world of L.A. crime journalism, he blurs the line between observer and participant to become the star of his own story.”—IDMB

If you’re like me and love a good thriller, this one should be on the top of your list. 

Jake Gyllenhaal is at the top of his game, and watching his slow decent into madness is gripping. 

Turn the lights off, grab some popcorn, and enjoy this awesome thriller. 

I hope this list makes your Netflix browsing a little easier, and that you enjoy some of my selections. 

I’d love what you thought about my recommendations on Twitter @csmithy16, and would love to hear your recommendations as well.  Enjoy!