SA’s Cowbell Cabs expands

Student Association
SA’s Cowbell Cabs expands

A recent expansion for Cowbell Cabs will allow students to be picked up from almost anywhere in Starkville.
Cowbell Cabs, a free transportation service, was started by the Student Association in 2014. While the service was created by the SA, it is operated by Bulldog Cab Co.
The expansion was initially announced by SA Vice President Layton Little at the Aug. 15 Starkville Board of Aldermen meeting, where the Mississippi State University budget of two percent funds were presented, part of which will go toward Cowbell Cabs.
“We think this expansion will benefit students a lot while enhancing the two percent tax to students that don’t necessarily have a car,” Little said.
Little said with the expansion, students can be given a ride to and from more locations.
“Cowbell Cabs previously only picked students up from businesses or on campus and brought them back to their home,” Little said. “Now, Cowbell Cabs can pick students up from anywhere in town within the boundary we have set.”
This means any student can be given a ride, whether it’s from business to business, business to home, home to business, campus to home or from your home to someone else’s.
Also, while the service did not run previously during home football game weekends, they now will.
The expansion went into effect around Aug. 17.
Cowbell Cabs’ operating hours are Thursday from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. and Friday and Saturday from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Drivers can take one student at a time, along with one guest. To get a ride, call 662-813-0084.
Little said the SA wanted to expand the transportation service because it would benefit students by giving them more options for safe rides.
“[SA President] Tyler [McMurray] and myself both ran on expanding Cowbell Cabs,” he said. “We felt the service could be better for students by expanding [it]. The purpose of Cowbell Cabs is to provide students a safe and reliable ride. With the expansion, it now provides safe and reliable rides for students anywhere they are trying to go.”