‘A joy rather than a job’

Lindsay Pace | The Reflector

Dr. Robert Wolverton teaches a Latin class Monday at McCain Hall. Wolverton, 92, has spent over 65 years as an educator.

Born into humble beginnings in the metro-area of Indianapolis, Indiana, Robert Wolverton, 92, was destined for a life full of victory.
Before fulfilling his duties as the current Professor of Classics in the Department of Classical and Modern Languages and Literatures here on campus, he spent his entire childhood and adolescence growing up in the city of Shelbyville, Indiana.  Aware of the need to provide for his family, Wolverton sought out work as soon as he was able.
Tireless in his work and education, Wolverton began his undergraduate studies just along the Ohio River at Hanover College in Hanover, Indiana.  There he studied psychology and classics, intrigued by different languages and ways of thinking.
Years later, Wolverton’s educational success allowed him to receive a fellowship to pursue a graduate degree in the field of classics from the University of Michigan. After gaining a master’s degree, he headed south, eager to gain quality experience in the field of classics. As a result of his skillfulness in Greek and Latin, Wolverton received a job in Chattanooga, Tennessee at The McCallie School as the head of the Latin department.
Unwavering to the underrated field of classics, Wolverton pursued a doctorate degree at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. One year into gaining a Ph.D. in the areas of Ancient History, Greek, and Latin, Wolverton took a job at Florida State University for one year, while the head of the department completed her doctorate program.
Aside from taking on a new position in Florida, Wolverton’s interest in music drew him near to a young lady who shared a love for music as well. Two weeks later they were married, and they will be celebrating 65 years of marriage this September.
“I call her my Florida souvenir,” Wolverton said.
A newly wed, Wolverton later completed his doctorate in 1954. Enthusiastic about taking on another adventure in the field of classics, he received a position in Athens, Georgia, at the University of Georgia for five years. Purposeful in every task, Wolverton gave a dissertation that impressed many. As a result of his first impressions, he received a job offer at Tufts University, in Medford, Massachusetts, a city outside of Boston.
Drawn to the South, Wolverton received another position at Florida State eight years later. There he was presented an experience of a life time. The American Council of Education (ACE) out of Washington D.C., sponsored by the Ford Foundation were asked to identify professors who “displayed characteristics of an administrator.” He was selected as one of 25 participants for an internship at Mills College in Oakland, California, and the University of California at Berkley.
“Interning at a private college like Mills and public university like the University of California were like night and day, but the experience was worthwhile,” Wolverton said.
New to the ideas of administration, Wolverton soaked up every conversation within meetings and lectures with his mentors. As a result of his acquired competence in the field of administration, offers began to flow in left and right. This was a result of administrators being slim to none in the 1960s.
Wolverton accepted a position at the University of Illinois, that offered a very strong classics department. With so many opportunities, he moved quite often. From serving as the Dean of Graduate School at the University of Miami in Oxford, Ohio, to receiving a position as the first male President at Mount St. Joseph’s, a women’s university at the time, Wolverton was no stranger to a challenge.
After spending time at various schools who were unique in their own way, Wolverton received a call from Mississippi State University in the late 70s. MSU was seeking a role for a Vice President of Academic Affairs. A competitive position, with five perspective employees. Wolverton was chosen.
In 1977, Mr. and Mrs. Wolverton packed their bags and headed to StarkVegas. 
“It was a very nice transition,” Wolverton said. “I liked the atmosphere, and people really work together here.” 
Throughout Wolverton’s many years of service, MSU President Mark Keenum said honoring him, specifically at the Old Main Rotunda unveiling, has been a highlight of many of Keenum’s days.
“He has inspired his students, his colleagues, and the administration of MSU for over 40 years,” Keenum said. “In all, Dr. Wolverton’s investment as a lifelong educator has spanned well over six decades. He continues, to this day, to inspire our students and faculty.”
After years of pouring out his expertise in the field of classics, Wolverton does not plan on stopping soon. “The students keep me going,” Wolverton said. Taking a break outside of the office and the classroom, Wolverton enjoys giving back and participating in various community activities within the city of Starkville. He served on the Board of Trustees at the Starkville Public Library and assisted in developing the community theatre.
He also enjoys singing and has participated in various community plays. Wolverton has four children, three sons and a daughter. He also has one dog, a 14-year-old Yorkshire Terrier. When asked what he loved the most about MSU, Wolverton smiled and said “The students and a friendly, supportive, environment that genuinely has a concern for people.”
In his next life, Wolverton said he would come back as a conductor, because of his love of music. Until then, he will continue to keep classics alive at Mississippi State University.
“I don’t have a job,” he said. “I have a joy.”