Chew on This: Pumpkin Spice Muffins

Jenn McFadden

A great recipe for pumpkin spice muffins

Friends, have I got a special treat for you! Just call me the muffin wo-man—this recipe is so good I’m considering buying property on Drury Lane! (Yes, I just mixed Monopoly and nursery rhyme references. Get the eye rolls out of the way now.)
Today’s recipe is pumpkin spice muffins. They are great for using up milk and other pantry staples, which is awesome for me because my old roommates left a lot of flour and sugar in our apartment when they moved out. No joke, they left enough ingredients for me to make five different batches of these muffins in one day—and now I can share the results with you.
I baked each of the batches for a different amount of time. Batch A was in the oven 10 minutes. Batch B was in the oven 12 minutes.  Batch C cooked for 13.5 minutes. Batch D baked for 15 minutes. Finally, Batch E baked for 17 minutes.
All of these batches went well. Basically, I cooked them for different lengths of time to prove that even if you are incapable of following directions or lose track of time—your muffins can still turn out fine with this recipe.
This recipe is also great because you can change the muffins in any way you want. I used pumpkin spice because I am obsessed, but you could alternatively use ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg for a gingerbread flavor.
For the pumpkin spice muffins, I even mixed a little pumpkin spice creamer in with my milk. After all, I said I was obsessed. If you are too, just make sure your milk and creamer add up to the required milk measurement.
You could also use chopped blueberries or strawberries. If you plan to use fruit, go with chopped frozen or dried, because they are easier to work with than fresh or canned in water.
While I am partial to using butter for most recipes, I would suggest using oil if you are planning to serve these muffins after around 24 hours of baking them. Oil will keep them moist. Depending on when you plan to serve them, use more oil—however, do not exceed 8 tablespoons. In fact, I would only use 8 tablespoons if you are not planning on serving the muffins for 48 hours. 
For my favorite batch of this recipe, I used 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 4 tablespoons of cream cheese frosting in the batter—this gave the muffins a creamy texture and you could taste the cream cheese. They were extra delicious but did not keep as well as the traditional recipe.
I also like to add vanilla chips, which are like chocolate chips with a vanilla taste. I added an entire bag of both semi-sweet and vanilla.
You could also combine dark chocolate and cranberries, peppermint white chocolate bark and raspberries, or caramel chips and 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt—depending on your preference of flavor. 
Obviously, this recipe is really easy to alter and manipulate. That being said, if you love something with this recipe or hate something with this recipe, please let me know because I would love to keep playing with it.
Another great thing about these muffins is, including prep time, this recipe takes less than 30 minutes.
You can make them for tailgating, a last-minute party or for a cram session you will have with everyone in your major before a huge test.
This recipe is great because it works as a dessert, snack or breakfast. I am sure a lot of you will find this recipe especially great as a snack for long car rides home.
No matter what you decide to do with this recipe and the many ways you may adjust it, have fun and happy cooking.