Exhibit gives insight to how children with autism view the world

Exhibit Gives insight to how children with autism view the world

While many local children are soaking up sun rays and enjoying time away from their studies, some are capturing timeless moments on camera.

Diana Outlaw, associate professor of biological sciences at Mississippi State University, received a grant from the Starkville Area Arts Council which funded activities to help children with autism experience the art of photography. Photos taken by the children were then compared to photos taken by a parent or sibling without autism.

These photo comparisons are available in an exhibit titled “Through Their Eyes” in the Cullis Wade Depot Art Gallery at MSU every weekday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until July 30.

Related: Professor raises autism awareness

While walking through the exhibit, Outlaw was undeniably in her element, explaining the process of capturing photos and setting up the exhibit. Outlaw then pointed out photos taken by young children who contributed to the exhibit.
Directly under the blossoming photographers’ photos were short biographies, with pictures taken by the children’s respective family members running alongside the children’s work. An observant eye can immediately spot the difference of focus between the child and family member. Diana said the children’s photography really focuses on details.

Sophia Seltzer-Hill, an upcoming senior at Starkville High School, observed how her two younger siblings Rowan, eight, who was diagnosed with autism at six, and Jacqueline, who is an undiagnosed “neurotypical six-year-old” captured many moments on camera.

Seltzer-Hill often mentioned how much her siblings enjoyed this activity and said they were both incredibly enthused by capturing specific moments in time with their cameras. Like Outlaw, Seltzer-Hill recognized how much attention each child placed on small details rather than the big picture.

Seltzer-Hill said each child’s images were not what most people would stop and notice.

Seltzer-Hill described the children’s focus as “smaller.” For example, if one were to visit a farm, one may tend to capture as much as possible in a single photo, or one may try to capture simply one farm animal’s body. Contrastingly, Rowan and Jacqueline would focus on minute features of a farm animal, or maybe a small area of a fence.

“Through Their Eyes” intends to bring insight to those who are not familiar with the way children with autism view the world in which we live. With a greater understanding of each other’s differences, comes a better respect for one another.

Seltzer-Hill has witnessed this idea firsthand. Seltzer-Hill said having a sibling with autism and participating in this activity has made her “less judgmental and more considerate of others.”

For more information about the exhibit and planning a visit, email Diana Outlaw at [email protected].

Contact Tori Boatner at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter.