Chew on This: Palline di Limone and Chicken Marsala

Jenn McFadden

Palline di Limone and Chicken Marala are two delicious Italian recipies.

At Mississippi State University, students have the opportunity to get to know diverse people and cultures from around the world. Although college is a time where we can learn more about other cultures, our food choices often become more isolated than ever.
While you might have eaten a variety of foods on your parents’ dime growing up, the desire to avoid spending money means most students probably are not making many attempts to cook the foods of other cultures.
However, let us embrace a culture today and learn something beyond just how a recipe is made. Let us learn acceptance and respect for a place we do not know much about.
The way food is made and consumed influences a country’s culture. Here in the U.S., our culture is fast and so is the food we eat.
Meanwhile, in the country of Italy, the star of today’s article, food is not eaten simply for sustenance. It is eaten to spend time with family and as a celebration of life.
If you take nothing else away from today’s article, know eating should be a grateful celebration. 
Now, I know I usually give you recipes that taste good and can be made for cheap. This is different. These recipes take us back to a much simpler time.
Palline di Limone is a cookie famous in Sicily. They are not for a special occasion, they just taste great. If you keep them covered, they stay soft. If you leave them out, they become hard like scones.
Either way, it makes for a lovely afternoon snack when served with milk. 
The next recipe, Chicken Marsala, is an Italian-American dish you have probably seen it on menus in Italian restaurants. The dish became popular with Italian immigrants when they came to the U.S.
In the 1900’s, meat was not cheap and Italian immigrants could not afford thick slices or a multitude. They instead made do with as little as possible. Therefore, the scaloppine, a dish with thinly sliced, scalloped meat, immigrated to our country as well.
This is one of my favorite recipes and you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry.