Starkville Weekend Preview

Jenn McFadden

A number of events will be taking place in Starkville this weekend.

Although Mississippi State’s football team is on the road this weekend, MSU athletics will still be in action on campus, with MSU’s volleyball team taking on the University of Alabama and the University of Florida.
Academics from a variety of fields will be giving free lectures on campus this weekend. Those hoping to embrace the Halloween spirit can visit MSU’s Residents Hall Association’s annual Haunted Horse Park, while music fans can take in the Vienna Boys Choir on campus on Friday.
Agricultural Economics Seminar
What: Guest speaker Charles Sims, an assistant professor of economics at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville, will be giving a lecture entitled “Hurry Up or Wait: The Effects of Climate Change and Variability on the Timing of Private Adaptation.”
When: Friday at 1 p.m. in Lloyd-Ricks-Watson Building, room 310.
Tea and Text
What: Kimberly Kelly, an associate professor of sociology and the gender studies program director, will lead a discussion on Betty Friedan’s “The Feminine Mystique.” Refreshments will be served.
When: Friday at 1:30 p.m., in the Shackouls Honors College conference room.
Philosophy Lecture
What: A lecture entitled “On the Argument from Physics and General Relativity” will be given by Christopher Weaver from the University of Illinois. The lecture is being hosted by Mississippi State University’s Department of Philosophy and Religion.
When: Friday at 2 p.m. in McCain Hall, room 175.
Vienna Boys Choir Concert 
What: The Vienna Boys Choir from Austria will be in concert on MSU’s campus this weekend. General Admission tickets are $35, while tickets for students age 6 to 21 are $15. Premier seating is available for $50. The Columbus Arts Council has organized the event.
When: Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Bettersworth Auditorium in Lee Hall.
The Haunted Horse Park
What: The MSU Residents Hall Association will be hosting its annual Haunted Horse Park all weekend. Admission will be $5 and will benefit Starkville area charities.
When: Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 7 p.m. to midnight at the Mississippi Horse Park.
MSU Volleyball vs. SEC competition
What: MSU volleyball will be in action this weekend against the University of Alabama and the University of Florida.
When: Friday at 8 p.m. against Alabama and Sunday at noon against Florida.