Starkville Weekend Preview

Jenn McFadden

A number of events will be taking place in Starkville this weekend.

Mississippi State University football team faces a big test on Saturday against the University of Alabama Crimson Tide, but the game is far from the only thing happening in town this weekend
Those who are already in the Christmas spirit, or enjoy shopping any time of the year, can check out the University Florist’s Christmas open house on Friday.
Fans of MSU athletics can check out MSU’s volleyball, men’s basketball, women’s basketball and football, which will all play at home this weekend. Meanwhile, anyone who enjoys extending their education beyond the classroom can choose to learn more about sociology or literature through lectures taking place on campus Friday afternoon.
Country music fans can end their Saturday by taking in a Riley Green concert at Rick’s Cafe.
University Florist Open House
What: The University Florist will hold a Christmas open house. The shop will offer visitors coffee and snacks, and can register for door prizes.
When: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday at the University Florist.
Sociology Lecture
What: Mississippi State University Department of Sociology’s Sociology Colloquia Series continues with “Lessons in Teaching Muggles?” a lecture by MSU Assistant Professor Rachel Allison.
When: Noon Friday in Carpenter Hall, room 301.
Tea and Texts
What: MSU assistant professor of English, Eric Vivier will lead a discussion on Thomas More’s “Utopia.”
When: 12:30 p.m. Friday in the Shackouls Honors College Conference Room on the fourth floor of Griffis Hall. Attendees will receive snacks and drinks.
 MSU Volleyball vs. Louisiana State University
What: The Mississippi State Bulldog’s volleyball team will take on the Louisiana State University Tigers.
When: 3 p.m. Friday in the Newell-Grissom Building.
MSU Basketball in action
What: Both of Mississippi State’s basketball teams will be in action this weekend, starting with the men’s basketball team taking on the Alabama State University Hornets. Afterward, the MSU women’s basketball team will take on University of Virginia Cavaliers. A Final Four banner raising ceremony will be held between the games.
When: 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Friday in Humphrey Coliseum.
 MSU Football vs. the University of Alabama
What: The Mississippi State University Bulldogs’ football team will take on the University of Alabama Crimson Tide this weekend. Fans are encouraged to wear maroon. It will be military appreciation night, with the United States Armed Forces honored throughout the game.
When: 6 p.m. Saturday in Davis Wade Stadium at Scott Field.
Riley Green Concert
What: Country musician Riley Green, from Jacksonville, Alabama, creates a unique sound by mixing “outlaw” country with traditional country music.
When: 9 p.m. Saturday at Rick’s Cafe. Tickets are available for $10 to $13.