Music Makers presents new, local artists to the community

Music Makers Presents is a monthly collaboration project between Music Maker Productions, MSU’s campus radio station, WMSV, and the University Television Center. Local and regional musicians are featured in the University Television Center and film original, acoustic performances.  
According to Alex Coats, senior public relations major and Music Makers Presents’ booking agent, Music Maker Productions began as an initiative for new programming for MSTV and has grown to be an integral part of all three organizations. 
“It’s a great way for Music Makers to provide a platform for Mississippi and southern artists to perform their music,” Coats said.  
Coats said Music Makers is continuing to grow the program with the end goal of it being completely student-run, which would be “totally unique” to our university since there is no one else in the SEC doing this type of programming.  
Coats has been a part of Music Makers for three and a half years and served in different capacities from Old Main Festival chair to publicity chair.  He applied his freshman year and said he has loved being a part of it ever since.  
“My favorite part about Music Makers Presents is being able to be a part of a totally unique program that gives local and regional musicians an opportunity to have their art heard and seen. Being able to give that opportunity for musicians to grow has been a huge motivating factor and a sense of fulfillment for me personally,” Coats said.
Daniel Neely, a previous participant of the Music Maker Presents competition, said he has personally benefitted from competing in this competition by having the opportunity to showcase his talent as an artist and present original songs.  
Neely said he is thankful for the opportunity he had to play his music and have others hear it.  
“It’s easy, fun, pretty cool, and you get to be on TV,” Neely said.  “Really, what’s not to love?”  
Neely also said the opportunity to perform live made him realize the importance of practicing music beforehand– an epiphany he said was common but seemed to be highlighted in front of a live audience.  
Music Makers Presents is considered an outlet, in this sense, to allow musicians to not only practice their music, but also perform in front of a live audience.
Allie Nichols, sophomore secondary education major, has been a part of Music Makers since her freshman year.  Nichols has been on the Artist Relations and Publicity committees and has done everything from selling merchandise, scanning tickets, setting up dressing rooms, putting up posters and anything in-between to make sure the concerts at Mississippi State are a success.  
“My favorite part is watching the TV center guys do their thing. They make it look so easy,”  Nichols said. “Local artists should definitely look into it because they have the opportunity to show off their talent for free and have these professional recordings to keep.”
These performances are released in episode format every week through the university’s cable television channel, MSTV, and WMSV. They are also featured on the Music Maker’s channel vimeo.com/channels/musicmakerspresents and at their website www.msuconcerts.com/music-makers-presents/.  The episodes include a short set and an interview.  
If students would like to be featured on Music Makers Presents, they can email [email protected] to be considered.  New episodes can be watched on MSTV every Thursday at 7 p.m. and listen to new episodes on WMSV every Saturday at 9 p.m.  Students can email [email protected] or come by the Music Maker’s office in Suite 314 in the Union for more information.