Students prepare for post-graduate journeys

Jennifer McFadden | Graphics Editor
Students prepare for post-graduate journies

As the semester comes to a close, the 2017 Mississippi State University graduates are gearing to make their departure. For some, this time of year is welcomed with joy and excitement to finally close the chapters of a very long book, while others are nostalgic and unsure of what is next. 
Some students will continue their journey in education chasing a master’s degree, while others will pursue internships or jobs in their designated fields. 
No matter where life takes one after graduation, the important thing to remember is to utilize the tools MSU provided and face any journey head-on. 
Communications major Alex Fava wants to encourage students who are entering their final semester to not stress. Instead, she said to take a deep breath and know things will get done. 
“For me, I feel college has taught me about time management,” Flava said. “I hope to carry the skill with me as I get ready to leave because I realize how important and significant getting tasks done on time is to success.”
Some students like Marketing and Communication major Rebecca Dumke, believes senior semester goes by very quickly. 
“Sometimes it catches me off guard to know that in only a few weeks, I will be graduating from college,” Dumke said. “I hope upcoming seniors live up each second because your last semester will go by in the blink of an eye.” It is no doubt students come to school with certain expectations. Once those expectations are met with trials and challenges, confidence may waiver. However, it is important to remember to come to college with an open mind and a ready-to-learn mindset. 
Senior Fashion Design and Merchandising major Fleshia Gillon, said she wanted incoming freshmen to know the way they come into college can be a reflection of the way their college career will end up.
“Students should come to college with a clean slate and disregard preconceived notions that they may have about college but to enjoy their college careers and manage their time wisely to lay the foundation for a successful four years,” Gillon said.
Communications major, Karice Clark shared her thoughts on how diversity and meeting new people has affected her college experience.
“Two words I would use to describe my college career: metamorphic and humbling,’ Clark said. “These past four years of college I have evolved as a person.” 
Reflecting back, Clark said she was presented with the opportunity to form her own ideas and opinions about the world upon entering college. 
“My view now is more complex than the black and white view I started with because meeting new people and seeing what they are experiencing and learning of different cultures has been very humbling, I finally see the bigger picture,” Clark said.
Senior Political Science major and former SA President Roxanne Raven said she urges students to try new things and challenge themselves at every turn and to discard fear from their vocabulary.
“I think MSU prepares everyone to be a leader, whether you are in a leadership role or not, and that can mean anything from seeing someone drop something on the drill field and picking it up for them or being SA president,” Raven said.
In an effort to help those who want to make certain changes, Raven said she wanted students to appreciate every moment as though it is your last because your time is precious and it goes by quickly.

Senor Art major, Kierre Dawkins encourages upcoming seniors to not be afraid to converse with strangers in a business environment, you would be surprised at the opportunity a simple hello and handshake could bring you.
“The biggest life lesson I have learned while at MSU is to be prepared and that you have to have backup plans for your backup plans,’ Dawkins said, ‘write down reminders in planners, sticky notes, phones, or whatever’s necessary to remember deadlines and meetings.
Because we all know things may get a little overwhelming, it is important to remember first thing’s first; handle any and all of your business and the rest will work itself out
“Know the classes that are required for your major, wasted time is wasted money and be prepared to balance a social life with school,” Dawkins said.
Taylor Green, Senior Communication major, is thrilled to be embarking on a whole new world and says she is most excited to use her skill sets that she has obtained from college as a way to contribute to any team.
“For students who may be unsure of life after graduation, I would say life is about experiencing new things and going to new places so see this as a step closer to something bigger and better in your life,” Green said.
Ph.D. Student and Instructor from the Department of Geosciences, Clair Babineaux, tells graduates to no matter what, respect yourself, honor your education, and enjoy life. 
“My advice for the newly graduated: Challenge yourself, ask questions, do what you love and love what you do, and if you don’t love it, do not be afraid to change things up,” Babineaux said.
Assistant Professor of Fashion Design and Merchandising, Caroline Kobia utilized her speech at the Fashion Design and Merchandising Senior Showcase on Friday, April 21, 2017, to sum it up best for graduates. Dr. Kobia began her speech by leading with an inspirational phrase that she urged everyone to carry in their hearts: Bloom where you are planted.
“Students, you have seeds of greatness inside of you,’ Kobia said, ‘while you will face obstacles, know that they are only there to propel you to the next destination.”
Congratulations to MSU’s 2017 graduating class, your Bulldog family wishes you much success.