Master of science program approved for 2018

Mississippi State University will introduce a master of science program in Cyber Security and Operations in the fall semester of 2018.
The program has been under development since 2015. David Dampier, a computer science professor at MSU, said the idea for the program became tangible after he was approached by naval officers from Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, Mississippi. The officers sought to earn a cyber security degree in-state. 
“The skeleton of the program began here,” said Dampier, “but we needed more resources.” 
Dampier said these resources followed quickly after the officers’ request. By April 2016, a grant was awarded for a cyber security program proposal, and by March 2017, the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning Board of Trustees approved the degree program. 
Jason Keith, Dean of Bagley College of Engineering, said he expects the program to add exponential value to the university’s already remarkable reputation in cyber security. 
“Mississippi State University is at the forefront of cyber security research and education,” said Keith. “This degree underscores the commitment of the university to this highly important field.”
Students from six different undergraduate disciplines may apply, including computer science, computer engineering and electrical engineering.

Two concentrations are available to students in the program: cyber defense and cyber operations. Both concentrations will educate students in defense against aggressive cyber invasions.
The cyber defense concentration is more policy-oriented than its counterpart. Dampier said this concentration will prepare students to work primarily in private sectors, protecting corporations. 
The cyber operations concentration, however, is technical, offensive and government-minded. This concentration has less course flexibility than cyber defense, because it requires specific classes like Reverse Engineering, Wireless Communication, and Advanced Cyber Operations. 
MSU students are excited for the program. Harrison Hunter, a junior computer science major, believes this degree could give undergraduate students greater academic opportunity. 
“If I decide to pursue a master’s degree,” Hunter said, “it gives me the option of delving into a unique field that is still related to my studies as an undergrad. Even if I don’t go to graduate school, the courses created for the program provide technical electives  I would not have been able to take otherwise.”
Job openings for individuals qualified in cyber security are increasingly abundant. The addition of a cyber security and operations masters’ degree is a response to a need for skilled individuals in this field. It will prepare MSU graduates to be leading benefactors in the cyber security market.
Dampier said he expects the program to excel.
 “I expect it to be very popular,” Dampier said. “I have received lots of inquiries from students wanting to switch from other disciplines into this program, at least 12 to 14.” 
Keith also said he predicts that the program will thrive. 
“I am excited that this will help us recruit outstanding students from around the nation to the Bagley College of engineering,” Keith said.