Former player returns to coach

Mississippi State formally announced a new volleyball coach Wednesday, ending the third coaching search of Athletic Director Greg Byrne’s first year on the job.
    Jenny Hazelwood, former head coach at Austin Peay who played for MSU from 1996-99, was informally introduced at an alumni gathering in Nashville Tuesday.
    “I am incredibly excited to return to Mississippi State,” Hazelwood said. “MSU has played a large role in who I am today, and I glad for the opportunity to give back.”
    Ann Carr, MSU senior associate athletic director and senior woman administrator, who remained by Byrne’s side for the entire process, said Hazelwood fit the qualifications set before the search began.
    “We wanted someone who would be feisty and have a lot of energy and who understood the challenges we face here [at MSU],” Carr said. “[Hazelwood] has really done a great job turning the program around at Austin Peay and we felt she was a great fit for MSU.”
    Byrne agreed, saying, “We saw a very good track record of coming in to programs that really needed a turnaround. When we got done with her conversation, we knew she could be the next head coach at Mississippi State.”
    The MSU program is indeed in need of a turnaround after last year’s squad went 6-25, 1-19 SEC. The losing season was the second straight losing season for MSU. State has never finished a season with a winning conference record.
    Hazelwood said she has wanted to return to MSU since she left.
    “I love Mississippi State, and it’s always been an idea of mine to return to my alma mater,” she said.
    In addition to the desire to coach her alma mater, Hazelwood said the commitment Byrne and his administration have shown to excellence in all sports was a big part of the draw for her.
    Hazelwood spent the last two seasons as head coach at Austin Peay in Clarksville, Tenn. After a rocky first season that saw her Lady Governors finish 8-25, she led her team to a 22-11 record and a third-place finish in the 10-team Ohio Valley Conference.
    Prior to APSU, she made stops at Division III Mississippi College and Division I Centenary College (La.). Her work at Centenary earned her the 2002 Independent Coach of the Year honors in her first year.
    According to Carr, the university received between 25 and 30 applications. Of those applications, Byrne said eight interviews were conducted and Hazelwood was the second.
    Carr said Hazelwood was interviewed in Omaha, Neb. during the annual American Volleyball Coaches’ Convention. Byrne and Carr attended the AVCC, held in December, to interview potential coaches and talk to other coaches about potential candidates.
    Hazelwood was brought to visit the campus on Dec. 27.
    Brandon Smith, founder of MSU volleyball’s student spirit group Seals’ Squad, said he was excited to hear of Hazelwood’s hiring.
    “We’ve had a lot of fun supporting [former MSU coach Tina Seals], but we understand that times change and look forward to supporting Jenny [Hazelwood] in the same manner,” Smith said. “I expect to see good seasons to come.”
    Smith said the youth of the current Bulldog squad should offer a unique opportunity for Hazelwood.
    “She’s got unlimited potential, coming into this with such a young team. She’s got a fresh canvas and she can do what she needs and is best for the team,” he said. “We have girls with so much heart that it will be easy to mold them into what they need to become.”
    Hazelwood has proven she can effectively work with a fresh canvas. In her first year at Centenary, she inherited only two players and increased the previous year’s win total by 10.