Students attend inauguration

Multiple Mississippi State University students and faculty members received the opportunity to travel to Washington, D.C., to witness a piece of history – the inauguration of the nation’s first black president.
    The Stennis Montgomery Association took 28 members to Washington, D.C. for the event.
    SMA President Whitney Holliday, said the group had a busy schedule while in Washington, D.C.
    “[Our schedule] leading up to Tuesday and after the inauguration was filled with many exciting events as well,” Holliday said. “Upon our arrival, we were greeted with a reception and historical look at Watergate by Grace, MSU alumni and Tim Terpstra.”
    While in Washington, D.C., the students were able to meet with some prominent people from Mississippi, Holliday said.
    “On Wednesday, we had a packed day with many speakers and meetings, including a luncheon with our Mississippi delegation,” she said. “Senators [Roger Wicker and [Thad] Cochran, Congressman [Gregg] Harper and Congresswoman [Marsha] Blackburn came and spoke to our group as well.”
    Laura Hamm, junior member of SMA, was selected as one of the members to attend the trip.
    “We had the opportunity to have a private tour of the Pentagon,” Hamm said. “We also toured the Capitol by the head of the Capitol Historical Society, where we actually ran into [Sen.] John McCain.”
    Hamm said the trip to Washington, D.C., was one of the most memorable weeks of her life.
    “It was very interesting to see policy taking place,” Hamm said. “We were at the Capitol while Hilary Clinton was getting approved to be the Secretary of State, so that was really neat.”
    Hamm said the group also got to attend the “HBO: We Are One” concert at Lincoln Memorial.
    “It was great to see the concert with so many famous people,” Hamm said. “Bono, Beyonce, Usher and James Taylor were there.”
    The group was at a reception in a building overlooking the inauguration ceremony.
    “We were in a building at 101 Constitution Avenue,” Hamm said. “I was very excited to witness it and be a part of history.”
    Hamm said she was excited to have the opportunity to see an inauguration.
    “It made me realize how great America is and how awesome it is to get to witness an inauguration no matter who is being inaugurated,” Hamm said.
    Holliday said the building was a great location from which to watch the inauguration.
    “It was a great experience watching such a historic event and seeing millions of Americans coming together,” Holliday said. “We had a great view. CNN even scanned our building on TV.”
    Holliday said a few SMA members were able to attend the actual inauguration.
    “We did have some tickets to the [National] Mall and some of the SMA members were there,” Holliday said.
    College Democrats President Chris Walton also attended the trip.
    “[The inauguration] was honestly inspiring,” Walton said. “I worked on the campaign and it was awesome to see all of my hard work make a difference.”
    Walton said he could feel the mood of American change during the inauguration.
    “Everyone was cheerful, and I could really feel how the election made a difference on America,” Walton said.
    In addition to watching the inauguration, Walton said the group visited various landmarks.
    “We got to go to the White House and that was very exciting,” he said.
    Holliday said they had a good ending to a busy trip, referring to the students’ last event in the nation’s capitol.
    “We ended the trip with an MSU alumni reception for all the alum in the area,” Holliday said.