Online Only: Lacking depth

Still lacking depth on your fantasy team? Or, maybe, you’ve decided that Brett Favre would be better off wearing jeans, playing backyard football and riding tractors than taking up a spot on your roster. Either way, you’ve got some nice options on the waiver wire.
    Chad Pennington QB/MIA: Did you know Pennington finished 2008 as a top-ten fantasy quarterback? Yes, he has a tougher schedule this year, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. When teams play from behind, the QB’s rack up the yards and touchdowns; just ask someone who owned Drew Brees last year.
    Joe Flacco QB/BAL: I’m wacko for Flacco. He did everything the Ravens asked him to as a rookie last year and finished as a top-20 fantasy QB, ahead of guys like Matt Schaub and Ben Roethlisberger. This year coaches plan to give Flacco much more responsibility, music to fantasy owners’ ears. He’s also got a solid set of receivers featuring Derrick Mason and a stout running game to take away some heat from opposing defenses.
    Leon Washington RB/NYJ: Washington is the biggest threat the Jets offense has and new head coach Rex Ryan, who promises to get Washington more touches, knows it. He averaged an astounding 5.9 yards per carry last year and is a consistent force both as a receiver and a kick returner. He also has a rookie QB in Mark Sanchez and an elite offensive line, both good news for a running back.
    Chris Brown RB/HOU: Insert Rihanna joke here. The Texans believe they have finally found their goal-line back (touchdown vulture). In extensive preseason work, the coaches have been amazed with what the bruising Brown has done. Steve Slaton is extremely talented, but, being so small, he has trouble in the red zone. Enter Brown. It’s not too far-fetched to think Brown could be the Houston equivalent of LenDale White.
    Earl Bennett WR/CHI: Most assume Devin Hester will be Jay Cutler’s new No. 1 receiver, but Cutler and Hester still have not developed any chemistry and even had a public spat over Hester not catching a Cutler pass. Little known fact: Bennett and Cutler played together at Vanderbilt and have stayed good friends since turning pro. That familiarity is paying off as Bennett has been the Bears’ leading receiver throughout the preseason. Hester is the home-run threat, but Bennett is quickly becoming the No. 1 receiver in the windy city.
    Nate Burleson WR/SEA: He averaged 12 fantasy points per game in 2008. Now, don’t be misled, he only played one game before he tore his ACL. It’s a good start, though. Burleson, a speed receiver who caught nine touchdowns in 2007, will be a fantastic complement to offseason acquisition T.J. Houshmandzadeh, a possession receiver.
    Jeremy Shockey TE/NO: Don’t give up on him so quick, o ye of little faith. He was never fully healthy in 2008, but is now fully recovered after a fairly quiet offseason. When healthy with the Giants, he was one of fantasy’s top tight ends, and do you really think Drew Brees is a downgrade from Eli Manning? Consider last year an aberration. He should give you plenty of production in the Saints’ up-tempo offense in 2009.