Cross country teams prep for ‘mud-fest’

Rain continues to be a major issue for the MSU cross country team as the Bulldogs host the MSU Invitational Saturday at 8 a.m.
    State hosted the SEC championships in 2008 and boasts a beautiful, hilly course near the MSU horse park, but Mother Nature did not cooperate then and could have a repeat performance, sophomore Renee Masterson said.
    “It will be a mud-fest for sure, especially if it rains like it’s suppose to,” she said.
    As of Thursday – a day which saw thunderstorms – the National Weather Service predicts a 50 percent chance of further scattered thunderstorms.
    The course is a gem, though, and the MSU staff knows it.
    “We cannot put into words how much of a plus having that course is,” assistant coach Houston Franks said. “Honestly, it is one of the best courses in the county and definitely in the area.”
    The MSU staff manages the soft-ground course very well, senior Simone Domingue said. Paths alongside the course are mowed for fans to help them stay involved in the race.
    “It’s a great spectator course,” Domingue said. “There are a lot of chances for people to see us running.”
    The Bulldogs are hot off a winning effort at Sewanee. Senior Adam Lenz and Masterson finished first and second place, respectively. Masterson was surprised at her time of 17 minutes 57.66 seconds.
    “Running is going really well right now,” she said. “Last week, I didn’t expect that after being injured last year. I knew I had it in me to do it, but it was a shock.”
    Head coach Al Schmidt said he is optimistic about his team.
    “I think this is the best women’s team in three years,” he said. “The men are young.
    Young teams struggle more on the men’s side.”
    The men’s youth should not fool anyone though. Assistant coach Houston Franks has worked hard with the men’s distance group, Schmidt said.
    “I think that they had good track seasons, which usually indicates that it will be a really good cross country season,” Schmidt said.
    With the graduation of Robert Scribner, the men’s team will have a huge spot to fill. Franks has high expectations for senior Adam Lenz, who has been one of State’s best runners two years in a row.
    “The immediate person that we will look to [fill the number one spot] will be Adam Lenz,” he said. “When Scribner went to nations, he [Lenz] missed by a spot or two.”
    Lenz said losing a runner like Scribner hurts, but the team looks promising and better as a whole.
    “If Matthew [Cameron] and I can lead the team to nationals as a team or go individually, then that is our goal,” he said.
    Lenz said he has a strategy for running in the mud Saturday.
    “I try to hold my normal race rhythm as best as I can and remain calm through the muddy patch,” he said. “Some people panic and speed up and get out of their rhythm.”
    Junior Matthew Cameron has performed well in the past and has plenty of talent.
    “Matthew ran really well at the end of cross country season last year and had an absolutely phenomenal track season, breaking the school record in the 3,000 [meters] and second all-time in the 1,500 [meters],” Franks said.
    Seniors Daniel Simpkins and Cameron Vincent will continue as consistent top five runners.
    An exciting recruiting class of talented freshmen will have a major impact on team success, Franks said.
    Freshmen Nick Perkins and Chase Rathke come in with the best pedigree, Schmidt said. Schmidt also said teaching freshmen to focus on training is the first step, then race executing will come as it may.
    “There is a myriad of young ones that he [Franks] is going to try to bring along,” Schmidt said. “They are talented. They would not be here if they weren’t talented.”
    The shift from high school to college is much more difficult for women than men. The racing distance and time is practically doubled from 5K to 8K and 10K, Franks said.
    For the women, team leaders Masterson and Domingue have shown exceptional offseason preparation.
    “I have high hopes for national caliber things from Masterson,” Schmidt said.
    Masterson said she has had sciatic nerve problems in her knee and may not run Saturday.
    Domonique Lockhart will need to step up and assume her role as a experienced sophomore, Schmidt said.
    Sophomore Loren Bruce is coming off a solid freshman year, in which she improved “100 percent” from her high school career, Schmidt said. He also said he thinks she could make some noise at the SEC level.