Desired job equals desirable dress

So I’m taking this project/presentation-oriented class this semester.
    You know the type. You do one or two solo presentations, then your professor puts you in a group and the presentations continue.
    Our professor requires us to dress in business attire for all presentations.
    Naturally, when it was time for my presentation, I tried on all the business-appropriate outfits my closet had to offer until I found the perfect one.
    You can imagine my surprise when the student who presented before me chose blue jeans – yes, blue jeans – to wear during his presentation.
    His ignorance to the real meaning of business dress and Career Days being today and Wednesday inspired me to write about this matter.
    Everyone in every major needs to know how to dress appropriately in a business setting.
    Let’s be serious. If you show up to an interview in blue jeans, I’m pretty sure you won’t get a call back (unless you’re interviewing for a job at a burger joint).
    Here are my fail-proof guidelines to dressing for success in a business situation:
    First, you should evaluate your color/pattern option. Ladies, animal print is not business-appropriate.
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves. It is really frustrating to attend a career fair and see girls dressed like they are going out with their friends, keep animal print in the club, not the board room.
    Some subtle patterns are OK depending on the situation, but if you are unsure about whether or not the print you are considering is appropriate, don’t wear it.
    Subtle stripes and seersucker are appropriate, but tread with caution.
    Avoid loud or distracting stripes and patterns. You want to be the focus of the interview/presentation, not your distracting stripes.
    Solid colors are always the best way to go, but not all colors are OK. If you are unsure, stick with the basics – black, white, brown, tan, blue and red. Other colors can be appropriate, of course, but you don’t want to be too bright.
    Again, you want the interviewer to remember you for your personality and credentials, not your hideously-bright outfit.
    Once you have an appropriate color picked out, evaluate the appropriateness of the outfit.
    Ladies, business dresses, business suits and business skirts are OK to wear.
    I always like to wear a skirt to an interview – it provides an opportunity for me to show my sense of style, while still maintaining the business look.
    If you’re wearing a skirt or dress, I always recommend wearing panty hose. I don’t like panty hose any more than the next girl, but it looks a lot more professional in an interview setting than bare legs.
    It’s important to remember the color of the dress, skirt or suit doesn’t mean it is business appropriate.
    Spaghetti straps and short skirts are not appropriate for an interview or presentation.
    You should choose a dress or skirt that comes to the knee or close to it.
    If you aren’t going to wear a jacket, make sure your straps are wide enough – I like to keep mine around 2 inches.
    Guys, make sure your clothes fit appropriately. The guy that presented before me in class was wearing a tight Abercrombie polo.
    This is not OK.
    In my opinion, Abercrombie and similar brands are not business-appropriate, and they do not belong in interviews.
    Invest in a classic style. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a brand name.
    Guys, as soon as your budget allows, invest in an appropriate suit if you don’t have one already. I use the word invest because that’s really what it is – an investment.
    A good suit won’t be cheap, but you will get a lot of wear out of it.
    In a formal business interview, always wear a suit and a tie. In my opinion, khakis and a polo just doesn’t cut it (though this can sometimes be appropriate for a presentation).
    Last but not least, shoes.
    Ladies, I always stick with closed-toe shoes. It doesn’t have to be a solid color, but I wouldn’t wear anything too funky.
    Guys, wear dress shoes and always wear dress socks. White socks are not OK for business wear.
    Keep these tips in mind for Career Days today (Business and Non-Technical) and Wednesday (Engineering and Technical).
    Both days run from noon until 4 p.m. in the Humphrey Coliseum.
    For a list of businesses that will be present, visit career.msstate.edu.
    Those are the basics. Hopefully now you are equipped for any business situation that comes your way.
    Jennifer Puhr is a junior majoring in communication. She can be
    contacted at [email protected].