The House That MSU Built

The Maroon Edition along with members of the community and various Mississippi State University students, staff and faculty, has teamed up with Habitat for Humanity to build a house for a Starkville family.
    The Maroon Edition is an initiative to engage all freshmen and the MSU campus in reading the same book to serve as a basis for intellectual and cultural discussion. The first book The Maroon Edition has chosen is MSU graduate John Grisham’s “A Painted House.” The story is a coming of age story about a boy growing up in the rural south and deals with race, class differences and social stigmas, and includes the repair of a house. In the book, the young boy’s family lives in an unpainted wooden structure. People make fun of the unpainted house, which the boy takes as an insult to his entire family.
    Jerry Gilbert, associate provost of student affiars, said the book inspired the group to partner with Habitat for Humanity to build and paint the first ever Maroon home.
    “In the book, this correction of this insult was something that needed to be done,” he said. “When we were looking for a service project to associate with the Maroon Edition, Habitat was the natural choice.”
    Habitat for Humanity is a Christian-based non-profit organization that partners with low-income families to build simple homes. Habitat empowers families to break the cycle of poverty through ownership of a decent home.
    Project coordinator April Hieselt said the 12,000 square foot 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom home is being built for a family of two parents and three children who have, like many, had a difficult time making ends meet in the midst of the current economic crisis.
    “Both parents are hard workers that are out there doing what they can. They just can’t find the means to get to the next place,” she said. “They are not asking for a handout; they come out and work on the house and will pay rent once it’s finished.”
    Freddie Rasberry, executive director for the Starkville area Habitat for Humanity, said families are chosen based off of who the home would benefit most.
    “We select families [that] are trying to help themselves,” he said. “They must be below a median income and able to help in the building of the home.”
    Though this is the Starkville Habitat’s 42nd house, this home will be unique, Rasberry said.
    “This house will be completely built by college students,” he said. “We have never had a house completely dedicated entirely by MSU students.”
    Gilbert said the volunteer response has been outstanding and he anticipates all volunteer spots will fill as the home nears completion.
    “It is a solidification of the bond between the campus and the community,” Gilbert said. “This is a tremendous opportunity for people at MSU to do some good in the name of the university.”
    Hieselt said MSU President Mark Keenum has not only supported the plans, but also became involved in the project personally by setting an example for the rest of the university.
    “He loved the idea and was incredibly supportive and has been an excellent help along the way,” Hieselt said. “He even came out and hammered the first nail!”
    Rasberry said the goal is to have the home completed in time for the family to move in by Christmas.
    Volunteer hours are available in two shifts on Fridays and Saturdays. If you are interested in being a part of the building of this home, you can sign up at starkvillehabitat.com.