More traditions could improve atmosphere at MSU football games

This year Mississippi State football games have had larger, more consistent crowds and eager fans optimistically ready to cheer on the team. Much of this is due to first year head coach Dan Mullen, who has brought a new excitement to a historically maligned program, and to MSU athletic director Greg “The Ninja” Byrne, who has enthusiastically stepped up the professionalism of Bulldog athletics.
    With this enthusiasm in place around the football program, all that’s needed are some set in stone traditions. Unfortunately, State doesn’t exactly have a laundry list of traditions. In fact, our two primary in-game traditions are cowbells and cheering “maroon” and “white.” Don’t get me wrong, these are unique and interesting, but at this point we need to capitalize on the momentum we have.
    Going into tomorrow’s football game against Houston, try to keep these things in mind:
    1. At a kickoff – When the team is lined up to kick the ball, imagine how awesome it would be if we had a consistent cheer. A large portion of the student section has already jumped on the bandwagon of yelling “Maroon” until the ball is kicked and then finishing with “… white. Fight, fight, fight. Mississippi State, whoo, you’re damn right.” Other than rushing through the end of the cheer, which always happens, this is pretty awesome. Just imagine if the entire stadium did it.
    2. “Zombie Nation” – This song is a staple of modern athletics. You can’t go to any sporting event, ranging from your niece’s T-ball game to NFL stadiums, without hearing this classic techno beat. Why shouldn’t we take advantage of this by having everyone in the stadium jump to the beat of the song? Imagine if the entire student section, let alone the whole stadium, started jumping all at once singing along. The football players do it. The band does it. You should too. Is it cheesy? Yes. Would it be intimidating to any other team? Totally.
    3. “Don’t Stop Believing” – Looking back at MSU’s storied football past, one would be hard pressed to find a better song to encapsulate the emotions of being an MSU football fan. We’re a fanbase which has seen more three-win seasons than many places, and has a reserved place in our conference cellar. I hate it, but it’s true. Nonetheless, we still have a die-hard following. Sure, Steve Perry may have been singing about middle-class ennui, but the moral of the story remains the same: Don’t stop believing. That’s something Mississippi State fans have done; every season is going to be our break-out season, every game is a potential upset. Not to mention, it’s a classic song which almost everyone knows. In order to fulfill their obligation as MSU fans, everyone should sing this song whenever possible. Louisiana State may have a foothold on Bon Jovi’s “Living on a Prayer,” but this could be our epic ’80s ballad and if we’re lucky, we’ll play or sing it ad nasueum.
    4. Cowbell etiquette – This is all hypothetical, since no rule-abiding patron of an SEC football game would consider bringing in such a distracting and unfair device to a game. But if someone did happen to bring a cowbell, they should consider this: Cowbells only really work if everyone does it together. It’s admirable that you can ring your bell the entire game, but does that really help if our offense can’t hear the snap count? If our side is on defense, then: let loose, stomp your feet, beat on the benches or ring your bell as loud as possible, but at least think about when you’re doing it. We have undoubtedly one of the most bizarre and unique traditions with cowbells, so why not use them to our utmost advantage, hypothetically speaking, of course.
    The MSU fan base is finally starting to get it. Guys are wearing maroon and white shirts, girls are wearing dresses that actually fit into the color scheme and people are excited about the game. Mississippi State has been searching for traditions for years, and if everyone mobilizes and follows these simple cheers, the team can finally feel some support and the wins will start coming.
    Kyle Wrather is the news editor of The Reflector. He can be contacted at [email protected].