‘Week’ to promote campus unity

In an effort to bring members of the Greek and non-Greek communities at Mississippi State University together, the Office of Greek Life will host its annual Greek Week this week to encourage campus unity.
    Braxton Stowe, the graduate assistant for Greek Life, said all week, Greeks and non-Greeks will have the chance to come together in order to serve the community, promote friendship and have fun.
    The week’s events include a movie night on the Drill Field, Greek Olympics, day of service and many more.
    “In the past, the Greek Weeks have been boring, and Greeks didn’t want to come,” Stowe said. “The main goal for the committee planning this year’s Greek Week was to create a week that would be fun for everyone.”
    The Greek Appreciation Reception, which will be held on Tuesday, and the Toga Swap/Costume Party, which is scheduled for Thursday, are only open to MSU’s Greeks. However, all other events are open to all MSU students.
    Along with Stowe, many other members of the Greek community have formed committees to assist with all the aspects of Greek Week.
    Sarah Ryan, public relations committee member, said she is excited about the events of Greek Week and hopes to bring to campus a better sense of Greek unity.
    “This week has a lot to do with us trying to bring Interfraternity Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council and Panhellenic Council together, but we also want the non-Greeks to see that we are about so much more than the common misconceptions that some people have of us,” Ryan said.
    On Tuesday, the movie “Orphan” will be shown on the Drill Field with free popcorn and hot chocolate. This event is free to all MSU students and co-sponsored by the Campus Activities Board.
    Wednesday night, all Greeks will have the chance to participate in the Greek Olympics and Hop Contest. The Olympics include events such as a three-legged race, dodgeball, tug of war and apple bobbing.
    “A hop is a line dance done by members of the NPHC,” Stowe said. “The hop contest will consist of Greeks from all the councils – National Pan-Hellenic, Panhellenic, Interfaternity – coming together to do a hop!”
    A day of service will begin Thursday where different community service projects will be going on all day around Starkville.
    “The way we could give back to MSU would be to collect money for the Harold Hall Student Fund, a fund out of the Dean of Students Office to help needy MSU students,” Stowe said.
    Greek Week will conclude Friday with Union Staff Appreciation Day and Greek Eat Night, where proceeds from participating restaurants – Bulldog Deli, Sweet Peppers, Harvey’s and The Grill – will go to one of the philanthropies.
    “All during the week, we will be raising money for the Starkville Crisis Pregnancy Center, Special Olympics, breast cancer [awareness] and Harold Hall Student Fund,” Stowe said. “Also, we will be teaming up with MSU recycling programs.”
    Tray Achorn, president of IFC, said Greek Week shows how Greeks help the community.
    “It really shows what Greeks can do for our community,” he said. “Also, it allows Greeks and non-Greeks to work together and get involved with fun projects such as our philanthropies.”