After Favre magic, season must go on

You may not believe this, but after Brett Favre vindicated himself against the Packers Monday night, the NFL season does go on. In fact, there are 13 more weeks for you to wear (or burn) your #4 jersey. Now that you’re caught up, it’s time to get on top of your fantasy league. Week five offers plenty of juicy matchups and a few more that are somewhat undesirable. We’ll start off with some players I think are in for a big Sunday.
    Matt Schaub QB/HOU – When the Texans play the Cardinals on Sunday, it is going to be a certified shootout with two pass-happy quarterbacks lining up against two rather defenseless defenses. Corn on the Schaub is likely to be the week’s top fantasy QB, closely followed by Kurt Warner.
    David Garrard QB/JAC – Did you know he has more passing yards this season than Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo and Greybeard himself, Mr. Favre? That’s not likely to change anytime soon as the Jag’s defense continues to allow points, and Garrard faces the Seahawks this week.
    Knowshon Moreno RB/DEN – If you drafted him, you’ve been praying for this day all season. Corell Buckhalter will most likely sit out this week’s contest against a depleted New England run defense, meaning Moreno is the unquestioned starter with a great matchup.
    All Eagles – Brian Westbrook, Donovan McNabb, DeSean Jackson and Brent Celek are all healthy and rested after the much-needed bye-week in the City of Brotherly Love. Now, they face a fantasy-friendly Buccaneer defense ranked in the bottom half of the NFL. I’m expecting an epic blowout.
    Nate Burleson WR/SEA – Most people don’t know it, but Burleson is top-ten in the league in targets, and this week he lines up against a Jacksonville secondary that has allowed the second-most passing yards in the NFL this season.
    Like an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, everything isn’t always as good as it looks. Here are a few big names who won’t live up to the hype on Sunday.
    Tom Brady QB/NE – It’s tough to sit Tom Terrific, but this is the week to do it if you’re ever going to. The Broncos have allowed opposing quarterbacks an average of 3.3 fantasy points per game in standard ESPN.com leagues. Ouch.
    Kevin Smith RB/DET – He’s a little banged up as it is, and this week he faces a Steelers defense that through four weeks has only allowed a total of 223 yards rushing. If you have other options use them, because this won’t be pretty.
    Cedric Benson RB/CIN – Always trying to one-up the Steelers, Baltimore has only allowed 211 yards on the ground this season. Compare that to the Bucs who have given up 607 yards rushing thus far. There’s something about the AFC North and stingy run defenses. I’d sit Benson this week if you can.
    Steve Smith WR/NYG – He’s no longer the “Other Steve Smith,” but his numbers this week may make you think he still is. He will be covered by every receiver’s worst nightmare in Oakland cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. This game will likely get out of hand early, and the G-men will just run the clock out. It’s a pretty standard story with the Raiders.
    Braylon Edwards WR/NYJ – That was weird to type. Anyway, long-term Edwards is better off with the Jets, but for the next few weeks, and especially this week, don’t expect anything big as he has to learn a new offense and build chemistry with The Sanchize.
    Here are a few more players I think will exceed expectations this week: Ahmad Bradshaw, Daunte Culpepper, Santana Moss, Mike Sims-Walker, John Carlson, Cadillac Williams and Josh Cribbs.
    And a few more you should temper your expectations for: Matt Ryan, all Dolphins, Steven Jackson, Bernard Berrian, Tony Romo, Donald Brown and Wes Welker.
    As always, when you can’t find me in the paper, there is tons of fantasy gold from yours truly at reflector-online.com every Tuesday and Friday.