BREAKING: National officials revoke Kappa Sigma Fraternity’s charter

Kappa Sigma National Office officials revoked the Mississippi State University fraternity chapter’s charter today.
    Mitchell Wilson, executive director of the Kappa Sigma National Fraternity Office, said national officials have every intention of returning to MSU.
    “The undergraduate chapter has 30 days to file an appeal … If the appeal is accepted, the chapter will be given a lesser sanction of punishment, such as probation or something along those lines,” he said. “If it is denied, we will try to recolonize at MSU after a two-year period.”
    In September, MSU officials placed the fraternity on probation after reports of multiple alcohol violations stemming from a Sept. 18 incident.
    Late September, vice president for student affairs Bill Kibler said the fraternity chapter admitted responsibility for violating the university’s Code of Student Conduct.
    “There were several alcohol violations stemming from this event,” he said. “Some [involved] the lack of control over the alcohol which therefore resulted in underage drinking and excessive consumption.”
    Kibler said one person in particular had “an exceptionally high blood alcohol content.”
    Assistant news editor April Windham contributed to this report
    The Reflector will provide updates to future Kappa Sigma appeals as they occur.