Renowned economist Stiglitz to give talk

Winner of the 2001 Nobel Prize in economics Joseph E. Stiglitz, will give a free lecture titled “Building a Better Economy” Thursday, Nov. 12 in Lee Hall’s Bettersworth Auditorium at 7 p.m.
    Born in Gary, Indiana in 1943, Stiglitz is a graduate of Amherst College. He received his doctoral degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1967, became a full professor at Yale in 1970, and in 1979 was awarded the John Bates Clark Award, given biennially by the American Economic Association to the economist under 40 who has made the most significant contribution to the field.
    He has taught at Princeton, Stanford, MIT, and was the Drummond Professor and a fellow of All Souls College in Oxford. He is now professor of economics and finance at Columbia University in New York.
    He was a member of the Council of Economic Advisors from 1993-95, during the Clinton administration, and served as CEA chairman from 1995-97. He then became chief economist and senior vice president of the World Bank from 1997-2000.
    Brian Watkins, director of the international business academic program, said his department is extraordinarily excited about Stiglitz’s visit because he is a well known author.
    “As a Nobel prize-winning economist, he is obviously a sought-after speaker,” he said. “Beyond that, he brings a unique perspective to the current challenges facing both this country and the world.”
    Watkins said Stiglitz has consistently urged a reassessment of the United States approach toward trade and globalization.
    “His international bestseller, ‘Globalization and Its Discontents,’ addressed many of these issues and has been translated into over 35 languages worldwide,” Watkins said.
    Stiglitz pioneered the branch of economics known as “The Economics of Information,” and in addition to authoring a number of textbooks, founded one of the leading economics journals, The Journal of Economic Perspectives.
    “In addition to his many accomplishments as an academic economist and policy advisor, Dr. Stiglitz can always be counted on to provide insightful and heartfelt commentary on the conditions that contribute to poverty and crisis – both abroad and in the United States,” Watkins said.
    He said Stiglitz offers a clear take on the events leading up to the current financial crisis and is not afraid to offer solutions as the country moves forward.
    “As a speaker, he is both eminently qualified and definitely timely,” Watkins said.
    Senior communication major Blaine Walters said having someone with Stiglitz’s reputation speak says a lot about MSU.
    “Joseph Stiglitz is revered across the world for his insight into economic matters and for him to share that insight with our university is not only an honor for me as a student, but for MSU as a whole and Mississippi as a state,” he said.
    Senior broadcast meteorology major Dorrell Wenninger said he is looking forward to hearing Stiglitz’s perspective on world issues.
    “I really want to hear what he has to say, especially during a time in my life where I’m about to step out into the real world,” he said.