Fans celebrate with parade

Dudy Gras 3.5 rolled through Starkville Friday, helping the Mississippi State baseball team begin the season on a vibrant note in the form of a Mardi Gras-style parade.
    On a beautiful afternoon, a caravan of floats and countless other vehicles left Rick’s Cafe before arriving on Main Street. From there, the caravan traveled straight to Dudy Noble Field to finish the celebration.
    The parade was preceded by a party at Rick’s. Many families were involved in the event and Cowbells was willing to provide everyone with the appetizers. In fact, this parade was much more family-friendly than the typical Mardi Gras celebration as many parents brought their kids to see the parade. The onlookers were treated by the parade participants with beads, candy, and toy cars, among other things.
    Dudy Gras co-founder Hobie Hobart said the parade has grown more and more each year since its inception, and this year’s was no exception.
    “We were tickled to death with the amount of people who showed up to be in the parade,” he said. “This was by far the biggest participation we’ve had before and we can only hope even more people get involved next year.”
    Participation in the parade was not limited just to those who were in it. Hobart said more people lined the streets this year than in year’s past.
    Meteorology major Joe Pennington was on University Drive when he saw the parade come through.
    “Me and a few friends heard about it and thought it would be fun to get together and watch it,” Pennington said. “I think it’s a good idea. It’s good for the baseball team.”
    Afterward, many followed the parade to Dudy Noble Field. Amongst the people enjoying themselves were head coach John Cohen’s family, who also participated in the parade. This is the first Dudy Gras the Cohens have participated in as this will be their first season in Starkville. Cohen was unable to participate as he and his Bulldogs were practicing at the time.
    Even Athletic Director Greg Byrne was there to show his support for the event. Hobart said it meant a lot to see the parade receives so much support from the school.
    “It was so great to see coach Cohen’s family and AD Greg Byrne get involved,” Hobart said. “This isn’t a university event, so it’s great to see people involved with the university get involved in this and show their support.”
    The support went even further than that, as Hobart and his partner Chip Carley were able to sell over $1,000 worth of Dudy Gras t-shirts. All of the proceeds go to the MSU baseball program.
    Shirts are still available from Bulldog Deli on University Drive. Now that Dudy Gras has come and gone, fans can focus on the upcoming season.
    The Bulldogs take the field for the first time on Friday, Feb. 20 to play Northern Illinois in the BankFirst Baseball Challenge. The game will be held in Starkville at 6 p.m.