Theatre MSU raises the curtains on ‘Red Hot Lovers’

Neil Simon’s comedy “Last of the Red Hot Lovers” hits Mississippi State University’s campus this weekend.
    This three-act show is being put on by Theatre MSU and runs Thursday through Friday.
    “Last of the Red Hot Lovers” is a situational comedy featuring the story of a 40-year-old man named Barney Cashman, a normal guy married with kids and a house.
    Cashman, convinced that life is passing him by, attempts to join in on the sexual revolution of the 1960s before it is too late.
    Each act of the play centers around a different woman that Cashman attempts to have an affair with – a sarcastic smoker, a crazy actress and a friend of his wife.
    The great irony of “Last of the Red Hot Lovers” is the disagreement between the play’s title and the unsuccessful affairs between Barney and his many women.
    “What he gets is something memorable, but not what he was looking for,” said Lyle Tate, who plays Cashman.
    In the end, Cashman realizes how silly it would be to do something just because it is in style.
    Director Marianne Ulmer said the moral of the story is that Barney is just a good guy and a decent human being.
    Audiences will leave with a feeling that most people are good deep down inside, she said.
    Assistant director Grant Alexander said the show sends a good message- it is okay to be old fashioned and important to stay true to yourself.
    “It shows how you don’t have to do something that goes against who you are just because other people are doing it,” Alexander said.
    Theater goers can also expect a lot of laughs at this show.
    Ulmer said she describes the show as hilarious.
    “Audiences will get a light- hearted view of life in the ’60s,” she said.
    The show will be in the lab theater in McComas Hall’s basement, providing a more intimate feel than McComas’ main stage.
    “The audience will feel like they are actually in the living room with Barney, watching something they’re not supposed to,” Ulmer said.
    The environment also provides an interesting dynamic for the actors involved.
    Tate, who has been active at the Starkville Community Theatre for many years, is accustomed to performing for small audiences (SCT’s theater holds 89), but this experience is nothing compared to the lab theater, he said.
    “Intimate with a capital ‘I,'” is Tate’s way of describing the atmosphere within the lab theater.
    Tate said the proximity between audience and cast members in the lab allows the audience to literally be close to the story and creates an awesome theatre opportunity.
    Students are lucky to have live theatre like this as an option, Tate said.
    “Students can see this show for cheaper than you can go to the movies,” he said. “It’s an excellent opportunity to do something different.”
    All those involved with the production encourage students to go see this really fun, funny show.
    “Neil Simon is a comedic genius,” Alexander said. “It will be a good time. It’s a great way to spend an evening.”
    Ulmer said she wants students to know the show contains some adult language and adult content.
    She said this should not worry those planning to come because it is comparable to what students regularly watch on television.
    The cast of “Last of the Red Hot Lovers” includes Tate, Markii Bout, Robbie Henry and Lindsey Cacamo.
    The show’s assistant director Grant Alexander is an English major at MSU and director Marianne Ulmer has been teaching in MSU’s Communication Department for 23 years. This is her third year to direct at MSU.
    The show runs on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. in the McComas Lab Theatre. Attendees can use the art gallery entrance.
    Tickets are $5 with a valid student ID and $10 for the general public. Audiences are advised to arrive early due to limited seating.