Students elect 2009 Student Association officers

Students voted Tuesday to elect Student Association executive positions.
    Despite the rain and cold weather, students gathered around as the winners were announced Tuesday at 9 p.m. in front of the Colvard Student Union.
    Outgoing SA Attorney General Blake Jeter was elected as SA president.
    Junior banking and finance major Michelle Peach was elected as secretary, junior banking and finance major Hunter Futch was elected treasurer and junior chemcial engineering major Halston Hales was elected attorney general.
    Peach received 50.96 percent of the student vote, Futch was elected treasurer with 58.19 percent and Hales was elected attorney general with 51.88 percent.
    Senior political science major Drew Cleek was elected as SA vice president during Thursday’s runoff election. He defeated senior general business administration major Ashley Edwards by capturing 56 percent of the student vote.
    Thomas Sellers, SA election commissioner, said the turnout for voters was a little less than expected.
    “We had a little over 2000 voters this year, which is less than last year,” Sellers said. “I think the weather has something to do with it.”
    Jeter said he feels enthusiastic about the new SA elected officers.
    “Every candidate that ran would have been a good choice, so it was a win-win situation for me,” he said.
    Jeter said he hopes to get all the ideas on the table before beginning any projects.
    “It’s hard to tell what I am going to do first,” he said. “I will definitely have to set priorities of the things that must be completed before the end of this semester and the beginning of the fall semester.”
    Although Jeter hasn’t made any decisions on where to start, he said he wants to begin with the more pressing issues that affect students.
    “We have to do something about textbooks soon,” he said. “We are also going to have to work on Old Main to make sure everything is going to run smoothly and be sure it will be the best event yet.”
    Jeter said he has a lot of ideas, but so does the rest of SA executive board.
    “We will have to sit down and lay everything out on the table and decide what is most important,” he said.
    The executive board members’ inauguration will be March 10 and their first official day in office March 11.
    Braxton Stowe, outgoing SA vice president, said it is a bittersweet election and said he is going to miss representing the student body.
    “I feel great about the new elects. I think they are going to take the SA to an even greater level than our exec,” Stowe said. “I know Blake is going to do a wonderful job as president. He has the passion and he puts 110 percent into SA.”
    A referendum was also on the ballet to vote on a revision to the judicial review board passed by SA Senate. The referendum passed with 97.36 percent of votes.