Online Only: Softball Dawgs go 10 innings in game one, split double header with Auburn

In a conference doubleheader Wednesday, the softball Bulldogs soared past the Auburn Tigers after 10 innings of play to claim the series opener 2-1.
    “We just wanted to continue to do what we did Sunday,” said senior Chelsea Bramlett. “We needed more hits and more runs. We have really been working on our offense since our defense has been playing very well.”
    With one out left in the ninth inning, the Bulldogs trailed Auburn 1-0. Sophomore Ali Bainbridge reached on a two-base error by Auburn’s second baseman Cassie Trosclair. Sophomore Jessie Bailey then doubled to the right field wall, which allowed Bainbridge the opportunity to tie the game.
    In the bottom of the tenth inning, Jessie Spain singled to left center and advanced to third when Courtney Nesbit singled to left field. Spain then scored the winning run off Trosclair’s second fielding error.
    Freshman left handed pitcher Lindsey Dunlap pitched the opening game against Auburn. She threw 10 straight innings to clinch the victory. Dunlap gave up one run on eight hits and delivered six strikeouts and two walks.
    Auburn’s pitcher Anna Thompson pitched a full set but was unable to deliver a win. Thompson brought the Tigers seven strikeouts and one walk. She also gave up two runs from seven hits.
    The Tigers scored one run during the sixth inning. Myesha Finney hit her seventh homerun of the season. Finney’s homerun added to the Tiger’s hits, bringing their total to eight. MSU finished game one with seven hits.
    “Lindsey threw great in the first game, holding them down for 10 innings to get a big split,” MSU head coach Jay Miller said. “We struggled at the plate all day, and we have to start generating some offense. Hopefully we can pick up the offense this weekend against a good Kentucky squad.”
    MSU opened game two with a run in the bottom of the first inning. Brittany Bell scored when senior Sammie Jo Bailey reached on a fielder’s choice. Bailey received the RBI.
    The Tigers tied the game in the second inning, gaining three runs to State’s two. Amber Harrison, Lauren Guzman and Tatiana Fernandez scored for Auburn. Spain and Allie Heon earned MSU’s runs.
    After the second inning, Auburn held the Bulldogs scoreless while earning five runs for the Tigers. Auburn pitcher Jenee Loree pitched the second game, giving up three runs on three hits and delivering a strikeout and two walks.
    In the third inning, the Tigers took a 4-3 lead on Harrison’s two-out single. Later Auburn added three runs and one run in the fifth and seventh innings respectively. The Tigers went on to defeat MSU 8-3 in the nightcap of the SEC doubleheader.
    “We prepared through South Carolina,” Dunlap said. “Auburn is a good team. We didn’t expect them to not play well.”
    Bramlett set a new school record for the most bases stolen in a single season when she stole her 47th base of the year. Bramlett has 139 stolen bases in her career, just two behind the school record set by Iyhia McMichael.
    The Bulldogs hit the road this weekend for a three-game SEC series against Kentucky. The series will open with a doubleheader Friday afternoon at 3 p.m. CDT and will conclude with the championship game on Saturday at 11 a.m. CDT.