Breaking Barriers

In an act of unity against intolerance, a group of students work together to destroy a concrete wall covered with offensive words and phrases as the final event of the Writing on the Wall project. The week-long awareness project was sponsored by the Residence Hall Association.
    In an act of unity against intolerance, a group of students work together to destroy a concrete wall covered with offensive words and phrases as the final event of the “Writing on the Wall” project. The week-long awareness project was sponsored by the Residence Hall Association.

Covered in words of anger and hatred and constructed outside the Colvard Student Union, the Wall crumbled to the ground Friday afternoon, signaling the beginning of a month-long series of programs aimed at highlighting the issues of inequality and sexual assault.
    Over the course of nearly a week, students and faculty were encouraged to paint degrading or offensive words or phrases used against them in the past as part of the “Writing on the Wall,” project, which was sponsored by the Residance Hall Association. Words like fag, whore and skank peppered the Wall showing how much hurt each word had inflicted upon the individual victims.
    Calvin Mosley, associate director of student housing, said it was not only students and staff who participated in writing on the wall.
    “Surprisingly we had a lot of citizens from the community of Starkville show up and participate in writing on the Wall,” Mosley said. “I think a lot of people who participated found it very therapeutic, and it was really good to those expressions that people left behind.”
    In addition to raising awareness through the “Writing on the Wall” project, Mississippi State University is also observing April as the nationally recognized Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
    This month, Student Counseling Services is sponsoring three events to underline the struggle both women and men face when being sexually assaulted.
    There are many events taking place during April to publicize sexual assault awareness.
    Director of student counseling services Beatrice Tatem said Monday’s event, “Take Back the Night,” helped people see how often sexual assault takes place and gave victims the opportunity to tell their story to a large audience.
    “We brought the program back three years ago to help recognize victims of sexual assault as they become survivors,” Tatem said. “It’s a time to reflect and move on so they can continue their lives.”
    “Take Back the Night” is titled in response to the overwhelming number of sexual assaults that take place in the evening hours. Tatum said one in every four women on a college campus will be sexually abused before they finish their degree.
    Last night, the event took place at the Union and featured speeches from victims of sexual assault and a candlelight vigil.
    During the vigil, students and faculty walked to the Amphitheatre while singing in unison, “We are women. We are men; we’re collectively taking back the night.”
    Kathlyn, a sexually assaulted female who wished only to be identified by her first name, told the story of her assault publicly for the first time. She said the notion of speaking to a crowd about her experience is scary, but she wants to encourage others to act differently than she did.
    “I’m hoping that it’ll open eyes to see there are others who this happens too,” she said. “I never reported what happened to me to the police because I thought I was the only one, which was not true.”
    Kathlyn said the incident changed her life permanently and has made her want to work in a sexual assault office to help other victims.
    “I’m very weary of men and try not to date anyone unless they know a friend who I can check up on,” she said. “Any guy who shows controlling behavior – they are gone.”
    Following “Night,” the second CSC-sponsored event of the month, “Denim Day,” will take place Thursday on the Drill Field.
    “Denim Day” began following an Italian Supreme Court ruling that a female could not be a victim of rape because she was wearing tight jeans.
    Students are asked to give gently used pairs of jeans that will be donated to the Safe Haven Crisis Center in Columbus. Tatum said jeans for women, men and children are needed.
    “Women come to the center with literally just the clothes on their back,” Tatem said. “They need clothes for their children some of whom are teenagers with nothing to wear.”
    Tatem said anyone can bring jeans to Student Counseling Services on the second floor of Lee Hall. She also said students who participate Thursday will receive a free T-shirt and be considered for other prizes.
    The third event of the series is a documentary titled “NO! A Documentary of Rape,” which will be shown April 21, at 7:15 p.m. in McCool Hall’s Taylor Auditorium.
    The event will be sponsored by the MSU chapter of the National Organization of Women and the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center. The documentary examines African Americans who have become victims of sexual assault.
    Tatem said these events will place a spotlight on a topic that is not normally discussed or seen as happening frequently.
    “This month is meant for empowerment, to educate and make people aware that with the right circumstances each of us can be a victim,” she said. “People don’t put themselves out there. No one wants to be abused.”