Vice president searches continue

The Mississippi State University is in the process of searching for a vice president for Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Medicine as well as a vice president for Research and Development. Both of these positions are very important to MSU and will require an extensive search by both divisions.
    Jerry Gilbert, head of the search committee for the Division of Agriculture position, said there is a timely process for appointing a new vice president for their department.
    “The first thing that happens is the president of the university has to make the announcement that the position is open,” Gilbert said. “It is all controlled by the president, and he will form a committee.”
    The search committee consists of faculty members from the Division of Agriculture as well as external representatives, Gilbert said.
    “We then decide upon a job description and work with human resources for the authority to hire a new vice president,” Gilbert said. “After that happens, the process of advertising the position begins.”
    Gilbert said the job description was distributed to a number of publications and groups including The Chronicle of Higher Education, the National Association of Land Grant Universities, the Affirmative Action Register and a job listing Web site, Academic Keys. Also an advertisement was placed on the university’s Web site. The search committee sent letters to other land grant universities so they can nominate potential candidates for the position.
    “We have until the first of May to receive applications,” Gilbert said. “We will have about a week or two weeks to narrow the field to three or four candidates. We will then announce the finalists and invite them on campus for on campus interviews.”
    The search committee will seek action and feedback from those who meet the finalists and the committee will get together to assemble the information, Gilbert said. The information is then turned over to the president of MSU, and he will decide who he wants to make an offer to.
    According to the official position announcement on the MSU Web site, the vice president for agriculture, forestry and veterinary medicine reports to the president and oversees a division that conducts research, extension and service on the university’s main campus through four research and extension centers, 16 branch stations and locations and extension offices in all 82 counties in Mississippi.
    Gilbert said there are several qualifications to become the vice president. Candidates must hold a doctorate in agriculture, natural resources or an appropriate other area. They also must have at least 10 years of experience and a demonstrative record of excellence and scholarship. Lastly, they must demonstrate commitment to the university, Gilbert said.
    Currently, the interim vice president of agriculture is Melissa Mixon.
    Joe Farris, assistant to the president, said the search for a vice president of research and economic development will begin very soon.
    “No interim vice president has been announced yet but will be sometime before Dr. Schulz departs for Kansas State in mid-May,” Farris said.
    MSU President Mark Keenum said a search committee has been recently chosen for this division.
    “We have assembled an outstanding committee including eight elected faculty members and seven individuals whom I appointed,” Keenum said. “Together they will provide good representation for the many constituencies of the university’s research effort.”
    Keenum said the formal position announcement will be completed during the committee’s first meeting and the advertising will begin afterward.
    Sarah Rajala, head of search for vice president for research and economic development said an interim vice president has not been appointed but should be announced soon.
    “The job description has not been finalized, yet when the committee meets, that will be our first priority,” she said.