Dean of students will step down

After 17 years of serving as the Dean of Students at Mississippi State University, Mike White will retire June 30.
    “I’ve never regretted my time with Mississippi State,” he said. “If I had plenty of money, I’d do every job I’ve ever had at MSU free.”
    White joined the army and served in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969. Upon his return, he began his education at MSU wanting to coach football or baseball. He acquired his bachelors in special education then went to graduate school and achieved a master’s in vocational rehabilitation counseling.
    “I graduated on a Sunday because that’s the way they did it back then, and I went to work at MSU that Monday,” he said.
    From 1972 until 1981 he worked in disabled student services. He served as student support services from 1981 until he became the Dean of Students in 1992.
    “Life has different turns,” he said. “You never know what you’re going to open up.”
    White retired from the National Guard about 10 years ago. He said he liked the military, but as circumstances dictated, he could not remain in active duty.
    “I actually applied for a uniform branch as part of the secret service, and I got the position, but I was a poor country boy and scared of Washington D.C., so I didn’t accept,” White said.
    With a military background, a career of working with students at MSU might seem like a stretch, but White said they are very much the same as far as age and discipline required.
    “There’s not a whole lot of difference between soldiers and students, especially in years,” he said.
    With 37 years as an employee of the university, White has watched the many changes of the university and the students. He said he has had the opportunity to witness the transformation.
    “One thing very dear to me, when I started in 1972 – the world was different, students were different,” said White. “It’s remarkable to see that and engage [with] students from different generations.”
    He said he remembers a time when he would dictate notes to a secretary, which she would take in shorthand. She would then type the notes on a typewriter. Now, he has his own computer and e-mail account.
    “If a person is not willing to change with the times, they’ll get run over,” White said.
    Though willing to change with the times, White never gave up the discipline that has driven him since a young age. He and his wife have been vegetarians for 25 years. He also rises at 3 a.m. to run and then work-out at the Sanderson Center. Of course, he will continue to stay active. Marathons are a family event in the White House.
    “I don’t plan to watch T.V. and sit on the front porch,” he said. “My wife, son and daughter-in-law are preparing to run the Marine Corp. Marathon and triathlons.”
    With a wife, children, five grandchildren and nine dogs, he will not have trouble finding ways to stay busy. He said he will focus more time on his family and the animals that he loves so much.
    “I hope to be able to work with the Humane Society, and if an opportunity opens up to work part time here on campus, I’d do that,” White said.
    White said his work on campus has been very rewarding.
    “Being around students will keep you engaged. There is no nobler thing than to serve students,” he said.
    Though he has loved the opportunities to interact with literally thousands of students and parents, some encounters have not been pleasant. He said he tries to impress upon parents and students that discipline is not about character but about behavior.
    “One thing I try to remember is to not forget that I’m working with the most precious commodity: parents’ children,” White said. “I discipline in the same manner that I would want someone else to treat my family.”
    Always one to fight for the weak, the welfare of students has always been his priority. It is this lifestyle of discipline, fight for fairness and compassion for others that has gained him respect from colleagues and students alike.
    Donna Maykowski, executive secretary of the center for student involvement said she has continued to be touched by White’s character.
    “Dean White has always been so sincere and fair, and that has made a lasting impression on me,” she said.
    Business manager for the Dean of Students Jackie Teham has worked with White since 1997. She said that over the years, the office has evolved and grown from her, White, and a graduate student to eleven people in the office. Even with eleven people, the office is a close-knit group and it is White’s way with people has made it that way.
    “It’s like family, and it’s going to be sad to lose one of our family members,” she said. “He’s such a compassionate person. That will be missed. He just has a way about him that’s different than anyone else.”
    As president of student affairs, Blake Jeter has gotten to work with Dean White often. He said that he was impressed by White’s desire to serve the students of MSU.
    “There’s no doubt that he was here solely for the students,” Jeter said. “I gained a lot of respect for him because he was so concerned about the impact of decisions that would directly affect student life.”
    Though White is retiring from his position of dean of students, he is not retiring from being involved in the lives of students, he said.
    “I plan to be on campus,” he said. “I’m retiring, but I’m certainly not leaving the university.”
    Though no one has been hired to fill the Dean of Students place, Jeter said he is interested to see who will come to fill the big shoes left by White.
    “If we can find someone with the same focus on the students, we’ll be all right. But he will certainly leave a hole,” he said.
    White said that the retirement comes at the right time.
    “Something I’ve always believed is there is an end point to everything, and it’s important to know when that time comes,” he said. “Though I have plenty of energy, I’m in good physical condition and I’d be happy here for many more years, this is my time.”