‘Observe and Report’ offers more humor than laughter

I’m not surprised “Observe and Report” is marketed as a comedy, but I don’t think it necessarily fills all the requirements of a comedic film. If you’re looking for the generally good-hearted laughs of Seth Rogen’s earlier films, this one might be a let down for you.
    Friendly joking and crude pop culture references have been replaced instead with dark, psychologically dynamic characters and a flurry of intense and violently intoned f-bombs. But that doesn’t mean the movie isn’t still funny.
    In “Observe and Report,” Rogen plays the chemically-imbalanced head of mall security Ronnie Barnhardt. When his mall, and more importantly, his love interest, is marred by the presence of a daring flasher, Barnhardt springs into action and vows to catch the pervert before his rival in the field shows him how the pros get things done.
    Barnhardt’s struggle is emphasized by a myriad of forces working against him, but he fights them all with a stiff upper lip although he isn’t above failure. Watching Barnhardt deal with the perils of his everyday life and teeter on the edge of sanity is the main draw of the movie. Once you get an idea of what he is capable of, the movie takes on a whole new light. Rogen’s leap from playing a stoner-dude to playing a tragic-comic anti-hero seemed easy enough for him.
    His performance matches the intensity in “Pineapple Express,” putting away any doubt I had about Rogen’s acting skills just by some of his facial expressions in this movie. It seems strange to see Rogen without that friendly grin on his face, but I think that’s why his character works so well. He’s still funny, but in a highly abrasive way; you won’t be quoting his lines with your friends after the movie ends.
    Anna Faris plays the object of Barnhardt’s misguided affection, and it isn’t hard to see where their story is going. Her performance is typically annoying, but it fits the character so well that you don’t mind. Michael Peña goes against the seriousness of previous roles with a hilarious interpretation of Rogen’s lisping Latino No. 2 man.
    Detective Harrison is Barnhardt’s chief nemesis. The actor playing him is a familiar face to many theatergoers. As much as I hate ruining the surprise for you, I must inform you Harrison is played by Ray Liotta (“Good Fellas,” “Blow”). The character is a worthy representation of the status/quo, which is why Barnhardt wants so badly to best him. The other characters round the story out nicely, and all of them will probably get a laugh out of you before the film’s over.
    Writer/director Jody Hill already has significant credibility in independent film circles from his first project “The Foot Fist Way.” “Observe and Report” definitely has the feeling of a low-budget production. Since nothing in the film is too over-the-top, you actually get to invest yourself in the characters because they are so well done. Hill has a knack for giving you what you need and letting you fill out the rest of the characters with the tendencies and traits of those around you making the film hit home. Hill’s story has you determined Barnhardt will fail, and I can’t say I blame you if you want him to fail. Nevertheless, Hill works in an appropriate ending that doesn’t feel forced or cheap.
    I won’t say the movie isn’t a good time, but if you’re looking to go disengage for an hour and a half, then this isn’t the film for you. Luckily, the humor still shines through the serious nature of the film. But it leans more toward humor and not laugh out loud hilarity. While it is funny, “Observe and Report” is also a heart-breaking and thought-provoking film.