The Grenadiers battled with rock; won Old Main opening

Christopher Polk on guitar and drummer Jerry Johnston played modern rock to take the win at Battle of the Bands.

Watch out for shrapnel from the bomb The Grenadiers dropped on the competition Wednesday night at Battle of the Bands.
    Five bands competed at State Theatre for the chance to open for Darius Rucker April 18 during Old Main Music Festival.
    The event is hosted by Campus Activities Board, allowing the university to be more involved in the process of selecting an opening act.
    Blake Butler, CAB president, said the organization was excited about holding the 2nd annual battle of the bands.
    “Last year, Soul Gravy won and the event had a good turnout,” he said. “It’s also a really great chance to give local bands a way to get their names out there.”
    The Grenadiers won the competition by 40 points from the judges, based on a 100- point scale per judge. The six judges included various members from Music Makers, the Student Association and CAB.
    “The difference between The Grenadiers and the other bands is that they were more musically involved in their songs rather than vocally,” Butler said.
    The Grenadiers consists of Senior Business major Garland Burton on guitar, senior mechanical engineering major Christopher Polk on bass and senior business major Jerry Johnston on drums.
    “It’s always more rewarding to win something rather than have it offered to you,” Burton said. “Our competition held many aggressive younger kids with a whole lot of ambition.”
    The four bands competiting against The Grenadiers were Yesternight’s Decision, Menagerie, Iron Rocket and the Squids.
    “After hearing the others play, I honestly did not think we would win. They were very good,” Polk said.
    One of the bands battling it out for the opening spot had only been together for two weeks before playing on stage.
    “To know Menagerie has only been playing as a band for two weeks is surprising. They played like they had way more experience as a band together than I would have imagined,” Polk said.
    Burton and Polk also rattle pots and pans with The Kitchen Blues Band adding more funk to its sound with Hunter Lawler on guitar, Polk on drums and Burton on bass.
    “The Grenadiers have more of a modern rock sound rather than the blues-y funk we make with Kitchen Blues” Burton said.
    The idea for The Grenadiers came out of the friendship between the three members.
    “It was right before we played for a fashion show here as a three-piece band and Garland [Burton] came up with the name for the band,” Polk said.
    Burton added, “it’s because we drop bombs on people when we play.”
    This was the first Battle of the Bands The Grenadiers ever participated in.
    The band members agreed it was much different playing to win a competition instead of purely crowd enjoyment.
    “It was cool playing for fans of the other bands competing. They were cheering them on but would also cheer for songs we were playing,” Burton said. “It was nice to have the competitors’ fans cheering for us as well.”
    AJ Fowler, a high school student from Starkville, went to the Battle of the Bands to cheer on his friends in Iron Rocket.
    “Of course I wish they would have won, but those other guys did a really good job and deserved to win,” he said.
    The Grenadiers anticipates a large crowd.
    “I think there will be a really good turnout,” Polk said. “I’m looking forward to playing on the stage for a lot of people because that’s always fun.”
    Darius Rucker, lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish, will be performing after The Grenadiers and Day 26 finish their sets. This will be his first appearance to play on MSU’s campus.
    “It’s an honor to open up for a pop culture icon such as Darius Rucker,” Burton said.
    For more information about the music festival call 325-2930.