Spring Fever

The Old Main Music Festival and Down in the District are no more. But the Mississippi State Student Association, Campus Activities Board and Music Makers will bring Spring Fever to campus, a free concert in April that will feature six or seven acts.We believe this concert has its share of positive and negative elements.
    First, we think it’s admirable that these organizations are trying to put together a big event on campus. MSU students deserve it, and the proximity of the event will bring in a lot of people who live on campus. Additionally, Spring Fever will occur on the same day as the International Fiesta, so the event could possibly attract a variety of people.
    Moreover, the three organizations sponsoring the concert may be able to combine their funds to get big-name bands to come to MSU.
    But there could be a few problems with this idea; thankfully, the problems can be avoided.
    We think it would be against the interest of MSU students if the three organizations don’t make an attempt to find out which acts are right for the event. For instance, when we say “big-name band,” we’re not talking about groups that reached their primes in the ’90s. Also, it would be a good idea to bring in some of the growing Mississippi bands, such as Colur Revolt.
    And be wary about picking Christian acts. Ginny Owens, a blind Christian musician, was booed and insulted while she played at Down in the District in 2006.
    Another issue will be alcohol. Will only liquor be allowed? The organizations should provide specific guidelines to students on what they can bring on campus.
    Relating to the alcohol, because this concert will be taking place on campus and not downtown, many businesses won’t be getting the revenue they amassed in past years. The businesses should be allowed to set up booths to make up for their losses.
    Finally, we hope the organizations will make something clear: Will this concert be more family-oriented or student-oriented? Trying to mix the two has been lackluster at best.
    Overall, we think Spring Fever is a step in the right direction but could be hindered by a few factors. We encourage the three sponsors to listen carefully to students and address the issues we’ve brought up.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Jed Pressgrove, news editor Nathan Gregory, assistant news editor Erin Kourkounis, entertainment editor Aaron Burdette, sports editor R.J. Morgan, photo editor Jay Webb, online editor Jocelyn Marcus, managing editor Sara McAdory and editor in chief Tyler Stewart.