Check out these seven books

A good book is almost not worth reading, but a great one will entrap, challenge and stimulate your mind like no other medium.That’s what I want to discuss: great books. For two reasons, actually.
    First, current news reports have been very disturbing. Either George W. Bush grasps to a sinking boat, the Democrats blather about progress only to issue measly plans for the working class or media outlets revel in the idea of someone being kidnapped or murdered. A great book can put this nonsense in the background for us.
    Second, there are many great books that receive limited attention.
    I’m going to list seven great books – but not without certain criteria. You won’t find well-known classics like “Bram Stoker’s Dracula” and “The Old Man and the Sea” in this list. Undoubtedly, these works are staring you in the face already (and rightfully so).
    Although a book like “The Screwtape Letters” is overlooked in many literary circles, C.S. Lewis is a hit in the Christian South. I want to hopefully introduce a variety of books that you haven’t heard of or – at the least – haven’t read.
    In other words, people who sit around with only broomsticks and hackneyed wizard kids on their minds, this list is not for you.
    Without further pretension:
    “Childhood’s End,” by Arthur C. Clarke
    Clarke is known for “2001: A Space Odyssey,” yet this overlooked book more than qualifies as a superb sci-fi story. The premise of “Childhood’s End” is unusual: aliens have taken over Earth – with a mission to spread peace. The memorable conclusion is mind-bending but understandable.
    “Watchmen,” by Alan Moore
    Yeah, it’s a comic book (conveniently packaged into a graphic novel). It’s also one of the greatest books ever written. Moore, the literary giant also responsible for the “V for Vendetta” comic, creates a multi-dimensional lesson on heroes, and the result is more haunting than what anyone expected in 1986. “Watchmen” will introduce you to Rorschach as well, one of the most fascinating characters you’ll ever come across.
    “A Glass Half Full,” by Felix Dennis
    The embodiment of irony: Dennis is the publisher of Maxim magazine, and this book – despite its clich title – contains the best poetry in decades. Unlike a lot of modern poets, Dennis doesn’t avoid rhythm and rhyme schemes. But he’s not pretentious. His complex truths are told in a simple way, often accompanied by a devilish sense of humor.
    “Inventing Reality,” by Michael Parenti
    Parenti is a socialist, so he naturally generates interesting language for our capitalist mindsets. Fortunately, he takes everything a step forward by debunking the myth of a liberal media and illustrating how journalists and television manipulate thought.
    “Gangs of New York,” by Herbert Asbury
    Although this book would be described as “informal history,” a lot of it is factual. And all of it produces excitement, something you can’t say about most historical records. At the very least, this book will show how evil can shape parts of our country as much as good can.
    “Brain Droppings,” by George Carlin
    The sheer creativity of the legendary comedian is staggering. While some of this book simply provides stand-up routines in written form, Carlin also throws in an array of truly random thoughts and statements designed to offend and make you think. For instance, he crams every one of the seven deadly sins into one hilarious sentence. Y’know, the kind of stuff they won’t teach you in class.
    “Everything’s Eventual,” by Stephen King
    I was tempted not to list this book because every King book sells relatively well; however, too many people think of King as just a writer of frightening tales, and that’s oversimplication at best. He proves his literary superiority among the crowd with this collection of enticing short stories. One story deals with a man contemplating suicide, unable to decide if he should leave a note or reveal his life’s work: an assortment of sayings he copied from bathroom stalls. And yes, the sayings came from real bathroom stalls that King observed. Incredible.